how to split 2 week between pedro and caulker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gracet

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How would one split the lodging days on San Pedro and Caulker, given the local available diving.

For example staying diving 6 days based from caulker then diving 6 days based from San Pedro or would a different split be recommended ?

This question can be asked this way, except for the long trips would the local diving be repetative for 12 days on one island ?

My first question is "why?". Caye Caulker doesn't have decent diving on the reef in front of the island, and most their diving is either north at the same sites that San Pedro uses, or south to areas rarely visited from San Pedro.

If you really want a two-center diving holiday with proper variety I'd have one week at either of the two northern cayes followed by a second week diving the same reef much further south in the Southwater Caye Marine Reserve. The diving there is quite different - none of the spur-and-groove formations that I find so attractive up here, but real walls dropping virtually from the surface (which we don't have here). You'll also see wildlife that we rarely get up here, including manta, big sharks, big turtles, etc. I can't think of a better place to stay down there than Thatch Caye, nine miles off shore and pretty close to the reef without being on it. They have their own well-equipped dive center, and because it's a private island and the dive center is their own, the diving is tailored almost entirely to what you want to do. Their website is Thatch Caye Resort - A Handmade Resort off the coast of Belize. Note also that from there you can reach and dive all three atolls and they do just that, so you might want to leave your Blue Hole trip until you're down there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom