How To Send Feedback To Uwatec For Galileos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax

Deplorable American
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
@JulesSCUBAPRO

There are a few implementations on the Galileo that make it not suitable for technical diving, and some small changes they could make that would make it enormously popular. How might one get this feedback to your developers?

1. Once underwater, you cannot change the gas settings, nor turn on a gas. This caused the Sol to SOS. I had forgotten to 'turn on' the #3 99% O2 tank in the dive settings. I set the gas on the left (Shearwater) and it cleared deco. However, the Sol had 2 minutes and it SOS'd as a "missed deco stop". Being unable to turn on a tank underwater is a detriment to safe diving.

2. Again on the above, one cannot change the gas mixture setting on Sol if under water. If I could have changed one of my independent doubles tanks to a 99%, and then swapped to it, that would have cleared the Sol.

3. The Sol program will not allow easy swap between gauge mode and regular mode.

Because of the above, I was thereafter deprived of the use of the Sol for the rest of the trip, because it would do only gauge mode and my diving did not allow the 48 hours after gauge mode. I use the Sol mostly for data gathering because of this, and carry two Shearwaters. You do your fine computers a disservice.

4. Create a dive setting, or in the software, that allows tanks to be "paired" as independent doubles. That will allow the gas consumption rates to be better calculated. A faulty transmitter battery kept my tank #2 from being read into the data.

5. Allow a greater range on deco stops. If you are in a cave, the ability to stop at 10 may not be available to the diver. In another cave, one might have to stop at 15 or 20 instead of 10. If, like my Petrels, the Sol had cleared at 15 feed instead of demanding 10, it would not have SOS'd.

It would be nice if they listened but I would be shocked if they did. It's been 8 months now since win10 came out and scubapro claimed they were working on a proper irda stack so users with a new PC could download logs/configure the computer. Still nothing is out. Also, they seem to have dropped support for a the TMX upgrade due to a hardware revision. Similarly to the promise and lack of product with the IRDA update, they have not produced an update here either.

As they tell you in OW class; don't hold your breath. It's a pity, because these fixes would probably be fairly easy to implement.

I'm assuming since scubapro seems to have abandoned maintenance on the galileo line that they intend to replace it with the Seabar line they just purchased.

It would be nice if they listened but I would be shocked if they did.
I am sorry to agree with you. UWATEC, before Scubapro bought them, and before Johnson & Johnson bought Scubapro, was an easy-to-talk-to company. :(

It's been 8 months now since win10 came out and scubapro claimed they were working on a proper irda stack so users with a new PC could download logs/configure the computer. Still nothing is out.
[speculation] ScubaPro found out that Microsoft was going to re-instantiate the IrDA stack, and didn't waste any time on it. Makes business sense. [/speculation]
Starting with Windows build 11099 and beyond, the IrDA stack is there. I am on it and IrDA runs fine.

Also, they seem to have dropped support for a the TMX upgrade due to a hardware revision. Similarly to the promise and lack of product with the IRDA update, they have not produced an update here either.
I was told the Trimix version for the hardware revision would be out in June, so we really cannot say. Source: Jules at Scubapro, @JulesSCUBAPRO

As they tell you in OW class; don't hold your breath. It's a pity, because these fixes would probably be fairly easy to implement.

I'm assuming since scubapro seems to have abandoned maintenance on the galileo line that they intend to replace it with the Seabar line they just purchased.
But if someone else will implement for you . . . :wink:

I had not heard of the Seabar line. This is very sad, as I really like the Galileo line for all the data.

I had not heard of the Seabar line. This is very sad, as I really like the Galileo line for all the data.
I also like my galileo.. I used to like it a lot more when I could download logs from it. I bought some shearwater petrel's for cave diving, but still find myself missing some of the features galileo has but petrel does not. Galileo is long long overdue for a new screen, most high end DC's are using bright color displays now. The seabear computers are quite a bit smaller than galileo, which is something I don't like about seabear. However, the bright color screen makes it easier to read than galileo-even at the smaller size. If seabear had a working transmitter, I'd already own one. Like Scubapro, Seabar seems to be promising things but not delivering (their rep had promised the transmitter at the last DEMA according to some other threads).

Those changes you request here for Galileo would really make the computer vastly better. I've had the very problem you describe before. With Galileo, it means either living with the error (winding up in gauge mode) or aborting the dive to surface and reconfigure.

Someday I'll find "the perfect dive computer" that has everything I want. Right now, nobody makes it. Lots of computers are close.

I also like my galileo.. I used to like it a lot more when I could download logs from it.

Hold out hope! I don't know when the version will go live, but Win 10 IrDA will ride again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom