How to sell a drysuit...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krame

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all,

I apologize if this seems a bit obvious, but as I'm looking to sell my drysuit, I figure it's better to look stupid now than later.

Does anyone have any further advice on selling a big ticket item here on SB? I generally understand that I post an add, someone responds, a payment is made and then the item is shipped.

I'm sure that's the end of most transactions, but does anyone have further advice on avoiding problems? Holding receipts, taking pictures? Etc. I guess I'm concerned about shipping my drysuit to someone, and then having them claim they never received it, or that I somehow else defrauded them.

Thanks!

Mark

At the risk of stating the obvious, you will want to make sure you have been paid before you ship it. You should use a courier service or postal service and ship it so that the buyer must sign to receive it.

The biggest risk I think, with something like a drysuit, is the condition of the suit, versus how it was advertised. If you advertise the suit as being "awesome and 100% dry", where it's actually got 5 leaks you've never been able to find, you could find yourself on the messy end of a dispute.

I sold a leaky old Viking on eBay years ago, but advertised it exactly as such.. The guy was new to drysuits and just wanted something to play with in a pool and he was very happy... It only cost him $200.

The other thing to remember is that once you have received payment, the item is the buyers. You should caution him to insure it before you ship it, or as a minimum, insure it with the carrier. You can't insure something you don't own. I sold an Aquatica camera system to a guy, and he insured it as of the sale date, even though he didn't have it in his possession yet.

If you don't have a Paypal account, you might consider opening one. It's a really easy way to send and receive money, but there are some 'heavy" user fees so if you're talking about much money, you might want to factor that into your selling price...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom