How to secure your camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chugmeister

Contributor
Reaction score
What does everyone use to "leash" you camera in the event something happens and you loose your grip on it?

This is what I use. There are several varieties of this out there, but this one fits my needs better than the others. I like the brass clip better than the plastic ones, it seems way more secure. With this type of lanyard, you leave it clipped to your BC, so if you accidentally (or on purpose) drop it, it's not going anywhere.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/ItemIndex_14/AQUTCL.html#Description

Firefyter:

I use the exact same thing.

The brass clip goes to a D-Ring on my BD. I girth hitch the cord to a hole on one of the handles on my camera housing. The cord is the weak link in this system. Not sure how strong it is and I have a feeling that bur on the metal housing could possibly saw through. I'd just take a look at the cord each time you use it.

Firefyter:
This is what I use. There are several varieties of this out there, but this one fits my needs better than the others. I like the brass clip better than the plastic ones, it seems way more secure. With this type of lanyard, you leave it clipped to your BC, so if you accidentally (or on purpose) drop it, it's not going anywhere.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/ItemIndex_14/AQUTCL.html#Description

Me too, exactly the same.

I have used the same lanyard on one of my cameras but I like a high force retractor better.

ScubaCarl:
I have used the same lanyard on one of my cameras but I like a high force retractor better.
Hi,

I've thought about switching to a retractor instead of the one everybody here is describing. For simplicity and also to reduce the noise of the other type banging against the housing. For my video housing.

Do you use a locking retractor? If not, is it tiring pulling against the retractor for 30mins. or so? Or does the weight of the housing help to keep it out against the tension?

Will it stay retracted when you're getting out of the water? What does your housing/camera weigh?

Which one do you use? I have the big locking Cetacea that I use for something else, but it doesn't seem strong enough.

thx,

Steve

What about the lanyards that have the retractable cords (like you can use for your gauges) connected to your D-ring? I'm thinking about using this when I'm ready to begin UW photography...

Has anyone tried this route?

JodiBB:
What about the lanyards that have the retractable cords (like you can use for your gauges) connected to your D-ring?

Not sure but I think that's what they were refering to above when talking about "force retractors".

Personally, I don't like the idea of a lanyard that is pulling on the camera(even gently) while I'm trying to compose a shot.

I use a retractor and a double end clip for entry/exit and a lanyard when I'm shooting.

By using 2 clips, the camera doesn't bang around. The double ender goes on my right shoulder D ring and carries the weight. The retractor goes on the left shoulder webbing down near the bottom and pulls the camera across my chest. You can still pull the camera up if you need to quickly get a shot, but it's not going anywhere. When I'm ready to start shooting, I unhook the double ender and use a wrist lanyard (then unhook the retractor).

retractor

double ender

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom