How to secure signal mirror

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anchochile

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a small, very lightweight signal mirror that is positively buoyant. I'm wondering what the best way is to tie/clip it off in my pocket so that I don't lose it when I'm getting out my DSMB or otherwise fiddling around in the pocket.

The obvious answer is a small bolt snap - the mirror has a small hole in the corner for tying off. But I'm worried even a small bolt snap will make the mirror sink if I drop it while on the surface.

Is there a best practice for how to secure a signal mirror without compromising its positive buoyancy?

Bungee / rope

Secure it on one end and tie it so you have a loop in the other end , can easily be attached/detached to anything in seconds.

I would recommend Bungee so you wont need to have so much slack in order to secure it (loop it around itself)

I tether it to the rest of my PLB & PAB and put them in me left waist BCD pocket with the end of the leash clipped to BCD pocket D-ring.

The DSMB & reel is in right waist BCD pocket.

0E6D4B8C-53D1-4863-995A-1952EF07D53D.jpeg

EBA1B903-B4A4-4E5F-B55F-819FC9D38465.jpeg

You could tie a loop and use a double ender for clipping it to D-rings, rather than permanently tying it to a bolt snap.

One option is on the back side of your dive computer, assuming it is on your wrist. A bit of line through the corner hole, then about a foot of length that you tuck away somehow wrapped around the mirror or the the bungee cords for the computer. The other end tied to the dive comp band or bungee, so leashing the mirror to the dive comp.

I've had mine there for about a year and normally don't ever remember its there.

Mine has a hole in the corner, it also floats. To that I attach a length of nylon cord. The other end of the cord is attached to a weight pocket on my belt with the whole assembly inside it. I also store my compass in the same pouch.

My method is to use a large velco'd pocket that holds all my safety equipment on one line attached to the inside of the pocket. The pocket is on the harness belt righthand side. I keep the knife, SMB/reel/whistle on top, the mirror slides down the back of the pocket. Those 3 items I can remove individually, other less used items are a little more difficult to remove. I like because everything is one place and since everything is secured if I need to empty the pocket to get something I don't lose anything. It is a PITA to get everything back in while under or on the water.

Reactions: Dan

Back
Top Bottom