How to route light wire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zimm

Registered
Reaction score
DIR question: I have my new HID canister light. Which hand do I hold the light head in? How does the wire route so it doesn't hang down?

zimm:
DIR question: I have my new HID canister light. Which hand do I hold the light head in? How does the wire route so it doesn't hang down?

Hold the light head in your left hand. The wire is about the right length that it won't hang down when your left arm is fully extended. The wire to the light head should be routed so that you avoid entangling it when you deploy the long hose to an OOG diver.

WJL:
Hold the light head in your left hand. The wire is about the right length that it won't hang down when your left arm is fully extended. The wire to the light head should be routed so that you avoid entangling it when you deploy the long hose to an OOG diver.

Just curious, why the Left hand?
Have practiced many OOA drills while my light was on my right hand and it never posed a problem.

scubaguy:
Just curious, why the Left hand?
Have practiced many OOA drills while my light was on my right hand and it never posed a problem.

It's a combination of reasons, but that isn't to say that at all times the light must be in the left hand, it's just predominantly held in the left hand.

1) When donating to an OOA diver if the light is in the right hand you could potentially blind the OOA diver.

2) Your depth and timing device will be on your right arm so it's easy to illuminate if the light is in the left hand.

3) If scootering it's easier to have the light in the left hand while the right hand holds the trigger.

Those are the primary reasons, but as I've noted throughout a dive you may very well change hands frequently so it isn't an absolute.

Hope that helps

Later

scubaguy:
It rarely poses a problem for the donor, it's the OOA guy that's blinded by the HID stuck in their face :)

Roak

I was holding the light in my left hand and the cord hund down quite low. This is a steathdive Nicad canister and light rigged on a Diverite 10w head. I had the cord wrapped once around my forearm and that took up the slack, but didn't seem like a good way to use the light. Maybe my cord is too long...what seems to be the standard length?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom