How to rig a small tank (13/19) for left side sling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyFrog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Note: I want to "hang" the bottle to my left side, with top bolt onto my shoulder D ring, and lower bolt onto my waist D ring.

posted this in another thread but figured it might warrant it's own thread.

So I already have a 40. Definitely can't travel with it. So looking to pick up a smaller tank for traveling.

I like my setup to be uniform, so since I side mount my 40, it's great if I can side mount the 13 as well.

But looking at the dimensions, 13 is half the height of a 40.
So how do I rig it?
Does the lower boltsnap hangs very long below the clamp?

Plan to buy the dgx strap kit for this but not sure if everything fits.
Couldn't find any resources online so any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 12.51.51 PM.png

I rig normal tanks in sidemount with the hose clamp 17" down from the valve top, a paracord safety leash around the valve and two hose retaining bands. Plus a bungee loop on the sidemount rig or off my backplate.

For me, 17" puts the valve in/behind my armpit and the hose clamp lined up to connect to a D-ring on my waist belt.

I rig an AL19 exactly the same as it is tall enough at 17" without the valve.

A 13, I don't know...., maybe swap it for a tall 19 first, :).

This is for sidemounting it, tight up to the body out of the way and not flapping about. The images you have are more for side slinging it.

I don’t understand this obsession with SMing stuff when you’re diving single tank backmount. I used to sling a 40 and it was never in the way.

A 13/19??? Is it really going to be that much in the way?

Why mess with tank bungees when you don’t have you? They’re my least favorite part of SM. Major PITA.

I don’t understand the obsession with SMing stuff when you’re diving single tank
Well, then I can easily route the hose and reg just like sidemount, to be the necklace if back mount or clipped off if sidemount.

Plus I recently saw a series of videos on solo diving that had the divers looking like collections of redundant parts flying loosely together through the water. That is not my preference.

Sorry I use side mount and sling interchangeably.
As sometimes when I say I sling it, people ask me "do you mean side mount".

Essentially I'm referring to the setup where top bolt goes on the shoulder Dring and lower one onto the waist Dring.

I don’t understand this obsession with SMing stuff when you’re diving single tank backmount. I used to sling a 40 and it was never in the way.

A 13/19??? Is it really going to be that much in the way?

Why mess with tank bungees when you don’t have you? They’re my least favorite part of SM. Major PITA.
I think I may have confused you.. I apologize.

I want to use the 13 so that it can be clipped to my left side, top bolt on shoulder D ring, lower bolt on waist D ring.

I think in your terminology you call this sling, not Side mount.

I think I may have confused you.. I apologize.

I want to use the 13 so that it can be clipped to my left side, top bolt on shoulder D ring, lower bolt on waist D ring.

I think in your terminology you call this sling, not Side mount.

Yep that is slinging.

On what harness?
Sorry I have corrected my terminology. This is for slinging the bottle on left side.

In terms of harness, I use a standard hog harness setup with the dss backplate.

If you have used a 30 and your current configuration works, then wouldn't you try to replicate the exact same clip spacing on the 13? Seems like you would move the clips to the ends of the bottle as much as is possible and then maybe add a little slack?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom