How to properly use exhaust valve on drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seville

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently got a drysuit 50/50, sent it to dui and got the seals fixed. I have not taken my drysuit course yet. I took it in the pool and was trying to get all the air out of the chest area, as it balloons up even though i tried to burp it by holding the neck seal open. I opened the purge valve all the way. I then started to hold down the exaust valve to get all the air out in the water. Is it normal for some water to seep in when holding the exhaust valve all the way down under water? If it is a little big in the chest, will wearing a bigger undergarment help?

You will learn that the worst position (aside from full inverted) is upright.... Get horizontal, and lift your arm above you to vent (make sure the valve open) through the shoulder/bicep dump - it is an automatic valve. No need to push to deflate...

I will add that the open/closed position on the valve is dictated on the water temps. If really cold water, I will carry extra weight which I then offset with more air to make the insulation work. I then have the auto valve closed to hold the air, and use the push to release air. When going up the line, I will open the valve to auto dump. If moderate temps, I dive the valve fully open.

YMMV.

I recently got a drysuit 50/50, sent it to dui and got the seals fixed. I have not taken my drysuit course yet. I took it in the pool and was trying to get all the air out of the chest area, as it balloons up even though i tried to burp it by holding the neck seal open. I opened the purge valve all the way. I then started to hold down the exaust valve to get all the air out in the water. Is it normal for some water to seep in when holding the exhaust valve all the way down under water? If it is a little big in the chest, will wearing a bigger undergarment help?

I don't believe I've ever had water seep in from being pressed. Mine used to leak just a hair when in the fully open position. I took it apart and stretched the spring a little and it's good now.

You will learn that the worst position (aside from full inverted) is upright.... Get horizontal, and lift your arm above you to vent (make sure the valve open) through the shoulder/bicep dump - it is an automatic valve. No need to push to deflate...

Why do you say this? Just curious. I dive horizontal, but sometimes end up upright on the line or something, never really had an issue unless there's an excessive amount of air in the suit.

I don't believe I've ever had water seep in from being pressed. Mine used to leak just a hair when in the fully open position. I took it apart and stretched the spring a little and it's good now.

Why do you say this? Just curious. I dive horizontal, but sometimes end up upright on the line or something, never really had an issue unless there's an excessive amount of air in the suit.

Being vertical can result in air burping through the neck seal, which can result in water pouring in.

the low profile apeks has a reputation for being somewhat leaky if left fully open, i generally will leave it only 80 percent open. never had an issue with sitech.

I was thinking that myself about the accursed Apeks low profile valve.

Was the pool session before or after you broke your back para gliding? Just curious.

This:

Being vertical can result in air burping through the neck seal, which can result in water pouring in.

as well as a tight squeeze to an undesirable location below.... can be quite uncomfortable (to me anyway).... :eek:

YMMV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom