How To Open The Tank Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is the reason why I don't want my buddies to touch my valve.

I am surprised that nobody talks about it: do you close/ open the valve clockwise or counter clockwise? The fact that there is no clear rule is for me very hazardous especially with this 1/4 back turn where you may think it is almost fully open when it is almost fully closed and can't realize before you can't breath due to the water pressure. Why isn't there a standard way to make sure that we can't get it wrong?
Well, it's more like "toward you or away from you"-- unless you are at eye level with it or standing "sideways" facing the tank.
Anyway, I have not had a problem with this and to be honest I never thought of which way it opens. I turn it the way it will turn.
I actually do turn it back once it's on-- not a quarter of the way, just a little. Why, I don't know and I don't think doing that matters, or hurts anything. When I go to turn my air off if it goes just a little then stops, that is the wrong way!
I guess you can't make any mistakes with this if solo diving, yet I agree that no one should be touching anyone's tank to be sure the air is on-- including divemasters on a boat. Having air on before jumping into deep water should be hammered in like "never hold your breath" is in the OW courses. And taking a few breaths from the reg mouthpiece to be sure it's on.

I am surprised that nobody talks about it: do you close/ open the valve clockwise or counter clockwise? The fact that there is no clear rule is for me very hazardous especially with this 1/4 back turn where you may think it is almost fully open when it is almost fully closed and can't realize before you can't breath due to the water pressure. Why isn't there a standard way to make sure that we can't get it wrong?
The way I remember,on my twin-se, is that if I was to touch the ceiling and if the ceiling would roll my valves while diving forward then it will:
  • Open my right valve
  • Close my left valve
you don’t need to do 1/4 turn back if you use properly maintained valves. In fact many people recommend to not do this in case you close it and quarter turn open and still pass the needle check at the surface.

Back
Top Bottom