How to "O2 clean" regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. Will keep that in mind.

One more link:

Regulator Servicing - 1st stage Cleaning » Defiance Charters

It's not detailed (but Apeks specific), however, has nice pictures.

Done with the Apeks DST, connected to O2 clean AL40 deco cylinder with Nitrox mix. Good stable 140 IP. Dedicated HOG 2nd stage, thin SPG from divegearexpress. O2 cleaning is not rocket science but with all reg matters exercising care and attention to detail is important. Strongly recommend using a brush, and checking cleaned components with UV (375nm) light. After full 2nd cleaning with brush, glowing impurities in UV light gone.

I only know about O2 cleaning from what I read in your links but I do know a little bit about ultrasonic cleaning. If you put a dirty reg into a UC what happens is the oils on the reg will create a slick on the surface. When you remove the basket the items will pass through this slick. That is why it is recommended to pre-clean the regulators first before putting them into a UC. A dirty regulator will contaminate the solution.

One trick is to float a paper towel on top of the tank to soak up the oils before removing the items being cleaned. Another trick is use separate containers in the UC with the proper cleaning solution in each container so that you don't waste the solution and it is easier to pour the solution out.

Here's what I do.

I put some gloves on, lay out some saran wrap on the surface that I'm going to dry and reassemble the parts on.

Disassemble the reg and remove all the old parts that will be thrown away (o-rings, filter, seat, etc.).

Remove the new parts from the kit and give each one a rub down with dish soap to cut away any grease, and rinse with purified water (from my PUR faucet filter).

Put each piece from the kit on the drying station saran wrap and leave it, after a good shake to get excess water off.

Wash all reg pieces with the dish soap, rinse with purified water, shake off, and dry on saran wrap.

Put on a new set of gloves.

When all is dry, begin to reassemble, putting O2-compatible grease on all the dynamic o-rings.

It doesn't hurt to wash off your tools too if you need them before you get all the components back together and hand tight.

That's it for me.

I don't clean 2nd stages, but do use O2-compatible grease and viton in everything.

If you don't have an ultrasonic, you can put the reg parts in the dishwasher if they're particularly dirty. If the parts kits are O2 clean, they shouldn't need any extra cleaning btw.

Also keep in mind that the second stages don't have to be O2 clean, though recommended, but please remember to do the HP spools and all of the hose connections and O-rings.

Just to be clear, cleaning parts from the service kit that are not O2 compatible will not make them O2 compatible. You might consider some training or at least a Good Book. It's not hard, but if you are going to do O2 cleaning, I think it would help to understand what it is you are trying to accomplish.

Matt

Ditto the above "Good Book." Look for AirSpeed Press online.

I happen to know Vince and dive with him. He is plenty smart about this stuff, but also very practical and honest about sensible real world shortcuts versus true hazards.

Last edited:
Just did my first AL second stage last week and after the Simple Green soak the body of the regulator smelled/tasted of Simple Green for days, even after rewashing and prolonged soaks. I was beginning to worry it was ruined. I think its finely dissipated now.

Did not have this problem with the Scubapro regulators and it was Simple Green Crystal (first time using this formula too). Anyone else have this happen?

yeah i don't worry about O2 cleaning second stages since it's at "low" pressure. None of mine are or have been since I have owned them and they have regular nitrile parts kits in them.
Don't use regular simple green due to the smell/color chemicals used for it. Crystal is worth the extra money. Less of an issue for first stages since it's all metal, but on the second stages the plastic absorbs so much. Definitely 0 reason to O2 clean the cases of the second stages since they see nothing but ambient pressure anyway and unless you are diving high O2 mixes for decompression there is no reason to O2 clean first stages. Valves are another story obviously lol

It was the Crystal that left the smell. My next try to eliminate the taste was to run it through the dishwasher. It is a pony bottle regulator so did not even need the O2 clean anyway. Just my usual modus operandi of making things harder then they need to be. Lesson learned.

hopefully the dishwasher worked. Try running it without detergent and it might help. Otherwise it will just be continued/extended exposure to warm water to help dilute it out of there, and now you know not to soak/clean the housings :p

So true. :confused: But I think its good to go now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom