How to label camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
A

afdgf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife just bought a Sealife Mini and we were wondering what the recommendations are for labeling the camera with her name or initials. On our last dive trip one of the people lost a camera and we found it on the bottom and brought it back when we read the label and realized that it belonged to one of our group so the person got their camera back. TIA

P-Touch. https://www.staples.com/Brother-P-T...fgYa5mcyAesRsxiqkKErm8dctAPL-vMIaAsh4EALw_wcB
Our labels have remained on the outside of our housings for years and still look new. You can also label the inside. Some people take a picture with their name and contact information and save it to the camera's card.
Merry lost two diopters six years ago. They were recovered last month and returned because her labels were still legible after six years underwater.

I use 3M waterproof stickers on much of my gear; they can be found on Amazon or eBay as "personalized scuba stickers" or similar search. I have a scuba flag, name, phone number, and US flag on them in the hopes of a call if ever lost.

I intentionally applied to high-wear areas such as backplate and flashlight grip just to test durability and have been very pleased with them. They stick very well, don't seem to fade, and are also reflective as an option.

Are you concerned over making it easy to spot your camera on a crowded camera table or to discourage theft? I would discourage etching something in a plastic or anodized aluminum housing. Is there a plastic part you can etch which is not part of the body that resists pressure?

On our last dive trip one of the people lost a camera and we found it on the bottom and brought it back when we read the label and realized that it belonged to one of our group so the person got their camera back. TIA

Consider a situation like this where the camera has been lost for a week or more. Very few labels can survive immersion long-term. Adding a small label inside, if the camera/housing isn't completely factory sealed, is worth considering in addition to an outside label.

I do that for my Aluminum Nauticam housing. I figure I "might" get the camera and lens back even after the housing is destroyed by corrosion and barnacles if someone finds it years later.

These are made to survive saltwater immersion long-term.

I have some of those and they are fine for repeated immersion, but I would not expect them to be readable after a long-term submersion — like long enough for critters to start growing.

These are Merry's diopters after six years underwater. The recovery video is at Merry's diopters
51848594009_0b94e0f627_b.jpg

My wife just bought a Sealife Mini and we were wondering what the recommendations are for labeling the camera with her name or initials. On our last dive trip one of the people lost a camera and we found it on the bottom and brought it back when we read the label and realized that it belonged to one of our group so the person got their camera back. TIA

I got stickers made up with my name on them. Written in Chinese characters but you can see I place them on my gear. Also get other stickers made up with your phone contact for whatsapp or skype name. So stickers also go on my light batteries my camera inside the housing my camera batteries and my dive computer.

TG6 HERO4 SETUP.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom