How to Grow Your Business on ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Turning Lemons into Lemonade: Handling Negative Social Media

I was asked by the good folk at Aqua Lung to do three presentations on Social Media. A few have asked to have access to files used for these presentations and so I am providing them both in the original Presenter (Open Office) and the more popular Power Point (MS Office). I have no idea how the files converted to Power Point so please advise!

Since these outlines contain less than 25% of the information I presented, I am sure that there will be some questions. Please, if a slide or point is not 100% clear, please ask for a clarification. Also, if you agree or disagree with any slide or point, feel free to discuss it. As I pointed out at the beginning of my class, I have no formal degree in Social Media. I do have over a decade of moderating BBSes and Forums, so my learning is from the trenches by experience. I am still learning and adapting my approach and hope that I will never consider my self an "expert" (a "has been" "drip under pressure"). Here is the third and final set:
BTW, feel free to use and modify these slides for your own purposes. You don't even have to give me any credit. Of course, if you want me to do a presentation for you, your business or for any show: ASK! I don't charge, and I won't give an info-mercial. If I have to make a special trip, all I ask is that you take care of any expenses I incur.

As a result of having to deal with a number of issues related to the businesses have been promoted on ScubaBoard, we talked through this list of suggestions, much of which repeats what has been said in some posts above. I hope everyone finds this useful.
Promoting Your Business on ScubaBoard

Many of the people who participate in ScubaBoard own dive-related businesses, and they hope that their participation will help bring them customers. That is both perfectly understandable and completely acceptable. There are a number of ways of doing this, though. Some work very much better than others, and some are not even acceptable under the ScubaBoard Terms of Service. The purpose of this article is to give tips for the best ways to make use of this resource to help your business grow.

Build Your Reputation
Some of the business owners who best use ScubaBoard to promote their businesses do it through the very simple process of building their reputations within the community. They do not do that by selling themselves though; they do it by making themselves valuable members of the community. They are frequent participants in the threads, making helpful, friendly, and informed comments. They offer good suggestions to new divers. They are positive voices in discussions. They do not go beyond a bare minimum in promoting their businesses. Readers associate their friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful presence with their businesses, which may perhaps only be visible by a mere link in their signature line. If people like the person they meet in their threads, they are likely to seek out that business when the situation arises.

Don’t Come On Too Strong
Some business owners try the approach described above, but they come on too strong. Almost every “helpful post” they provide can be clearly translated as “Buy my product, and your troubles will be solved.” Readers see through that easily, and they don’t like it. Rather than build a reputation and a loyal following, such people are quickly dismissed by the masses. Readers resent having the blatant advertising shoved into their faces in the midst of earnest discussion in threads. Such posters drive away more potential customers than they gain. In contrast to the simple business link in a signature line, their signature lines may include a number of large font, bold faced, brightly colored advertisements that make the the true purpose of their participation all too clear.

Respond to Queries, but Do Not Initiate
Let’s say you own a small dive operation in a remote area. Someone posts a thread saying that they will be going there in the coming months, and they are wondering about the best options for dive operations there. By all means, respond with a low key post identifying yourself, talking about the basics of your operation, and suggesting the poster get in touch with you. Don’t overdo it, though—people resent the hard sell. Do not denigrate your competition. Most importantly, do not start new threads talking about yourself and your business ventures. Unsolicited advertising of this kind is commonly called SPAM, and spammers are generally despised. Similarly, do not post introductions of yourself and your services within threads that are not really on that topic. Readers perceive it as an unwelcome intrusion into the discussion. Once again, it is perceived as spam, and spam draws more derision than admiration. In general, if someone asks about services you provide, respond with positive information, but do not come out of nowhere with a commercial announcement.

Posting Announcements in Regional Forums
In the past, ScubaBoard included special forums within the regional forums for Trips and Local marketplace. This was a dedicated forum in which commercial enterprises could post announcements about special trips and other similar events. It didn't work. Businesses rarely used the forums, and when they did, no one noticed. Consequently, those forums were eliminated, and it is now permissible to make such announcements as new threads within the regional forums. This is a system that can work very well, but it can also be abused. If you are running a special local trip, you should make a thread announcing it. But please don’t create new threads that merely announce your existence or advertise a routine sale. That is not the purpose of those forums, and, once again, readers resent it. If it were to happen too much, ScubaBoard will have to create a policy to eliminate it, a policy that we would all hope would not be necessary.

Become an Advertising Partner with ScubaBoard
If you are interested in this, please send an email to ads@scubaboard.com.

This is a great article that reiterates how you should come across on all social media platforms, including ScubaBoard.

5 Social Media Laws You Shouldn't Break | Search Engine Journal

<header class="entry-header clear" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin-bottom: 40px; color: rgb(111, 111, 111); font-family: museo-sans, sans-serif; font-size: 18px; line-height: 27px;">5 Laws You&#8217;ve Got to Stop Breaking on Social Media

Ben Jacobson <time class="entry-date published" datetime="2014-07-06T10:44:36+00:00" style="box-sizing: border-box;">July 6, 2014</time>
Sometimes you don&#8217;t have time to follow all the best practices of inbound marketing. Or maybe your boss or client is standing over your shoulder, giving you instructions, and you don&#8217;t have the power or strength to argue anymore.</header>In these situations, you can be forgiven for abandoning protocol. Just don&#8217;t forget the lines that should never, ever be crossed. There&#8217;s a big difference between tweeting a link to a helpful article without mentioning the author, for example, and making sure to only post links to pages that are about your brand.

Yes, there are some social media transgressions that have the power to damage your efforts and actually lengthen the distance between where you are now and your marketing goals. These are the ones to watch out for.

Don&#8217;t Talk About Yourself Too Much

You are on social media to build awareness of your brand and steer the conversations around it, right? Many marketers think the best way to accomplish this is to post non-stop about their amazing product or service, with a few special deals thrown in, and wait for the sales to roll in.
This tactic won&#8217;t work, because, let&#8217;s face it, no one cares about you! What they care about is how you can help them solve their problems.
Talk about your audience and what they want. Then tell them how you fit into the picture, but always focusing on the benefits of using your products, rather than the specs and features. When you keep your prospective customers at the center of the conversation, they will have a reason to turn to you instead of the competition.

Be Helpful Instead of Sales-y
Yes, you want to sell your product, but people are not generally hanging out online in order to read ads. What they are looking for is content that captivates them, amuses them and makes them feel like they are in the inside of a cool, branded world. Customers have so many options online and offline, so you need to stand out from the competition.
When you are helpful to potential customers, they&#8217;ll form an emotional attachment to your brand and look for your products when the time comes that they are ready to buy.

Remember: Your &#8220;Audience&#8221; Consists of Real People

Audience is such an overused buzzword that it&#8217;s easy to forget that there are actually people behind these screens&#8212;people with real problems and needs.
Treat them like you would treat a customer walking into your office, store, or showroom. And just as you don&#8217;t try to target every single person who passes by, don&#8217;t try to market to the entire Internet at once. Instead, think about who your target audience is in the narrowest sense, and turn them into evangelists for your products.
Stop thinking of your audience in terms of demographics. Pinpoint exactly who your customer is, and market to that specific person, crafting messages intended for individuals. Build relationships with these individuals by hanging out where they hang out, and write content directed towards them and what they care about.
And if you&#8217;re using automation tools, make sure not to let them take over the conversation. People can tell the difference between robots engaging with them and people engaging with them.

Don&#8217;t Try to be Active on Too Many Channels

The blogs you read about online marketing often extol the virtues of various social media channels and make it seem like you must be active on every single one of them. It makes sense that you might be confused and take a headline like &#8220;Why Your Business Should Be on Instagram&#8221; too literally.
Of course, taking on too many social networks will cause a major time suck and not have the desired effect. Instead, choose a few channels which your audience frequents and put all your efforts into these and only these.
It&#8217;s important to remember that each social media site is a micro-universe of its own, with unique etiquette, community norms, and functionalities. Don&#8217;t just post the same exact content a million times on a million networks. Think about how to present your content on each network in a way that&#8217;s suited to how and why people use that network, this will make your audience more likely to respond.

Unreasonable Expectations and Incorrect Measurements

There&#8217;s probably someone whispering in your ear telling you should have some astronomically high number of followers on each of the social media channels you are active on (and possibly even on the ones you ignore). Not only is this unreasonable&#8212;it&#8217;s far from the best measurement of success.
What matters is not how many people clicked Like or Follow, or even how many shares a piece of content received. What&#8217;s really important is whether metrics like sales, awareness, support response times, or share of relevant conversation are on the rise. If social media efforts are making real impact, then that translates into an upswing in sales.
And some metrics are more helpful for informing the process of refining engagement tactics than they are helpful for proving your activity is helping business. Keep track of which types of posts strike a chord with your audience and what time of day is the best for posting to your followers.
You can set up tracking with a powerful, premium inbound tool suite like HubSpot, but free tools with narrower scope like Google Analytics and Buffer are also useful for tracking and measurement.
But please don&#8217;t forget that some ROI is simply not trackable&#8212;providing a positive customer experience and turning a disgruntled consumer into a brand evangelist is simply priceless.

Where Do You Draw the Line?

When it comes to social media engagement, some compromises simply won&#8217;t fly. Whether it is chasing after bad metrics, spreading yourself too thin, making it all about you, over-automating, or using hard sell tactics, there are plenty of &#8220;worst practices&#8221; that are way too rampant.
Think something important is missing from this list? Do you see brands posting in other ways that make steam come out of your ears? Leave a comment below!
Image Credits
Featured Image: albund via Shutterstock
Image #1: Angela Waye via Shutterstock

Back
Top Bottom