How to giant stride with fiberglass fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjmochi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After my last trip to French Polynesia I decided to buy freediving fins and see if they are better at dealing with current. Most of the divemasters in Rangiroa/Fakarava were wearing them and recommended I give it a try (I was wearing jet fins at the time).

My next trip is on a Maldives liveaboard. The diving dhoni is giant stride entry and I’ve read this can damage fiberglass fins, as they can snap from the weight of the tank/gear. So my question is what is the best way to enter the water if there is no platform low enough to backroll in?

I also own Atomic split fins and will probably bring them if there is no easy way to enter with the long fins. I’ve found the jet fins very tiring to use in big current dives and will keep them for macro only (which is what I bought them for to solve the issue of my feet floating up with the split fins). But from what I have read it sounds like freediving fins will be a big step up from split fins in current so hopefully there is a way? I guess I can always put them on in the water but that seems like more hassle than it’s worth.

The fins are subject to a lot of stress on one foot on normal entry. The leg which is behind the diver (back leg) on entry, has the fin positioned so that the top of the blade is slapping the water. This causes the blade to be bent backwards and this is exacerbated if you do the normal scissor kick upon entry.

The forward fin has the blade bent upward on entry and this is much less stressful on the blade.

So the answer is to avoid the situation that occurs with the rear leg. When you step off from a relatively high platform, just bring the feet together before entry. Try to enter the water with the heels entering first and the tips pointing up a little. This will protect the fins. You will be entering the water with the blades close to vertical with the surface of the water versus horizontally as occurs on a normal giant stride. It is the trailing leg/fin that is the potential problem.

It is much easier to do than explain.

I have seen people using expensive hand-made carbonfiber fins to jump in water almost head-down, hitting water with the top part of the cylinder...
At Maldives I and my wife always used freediving fins, much better with strong currents. But with plastic blades (Cressi Rondine Gara, in our case). Cheap and effective!

Anywhere you can do a Giant Stride, you can do a back roll. Turn around and just "sit down" into the water. I never, ever do giant strides for lots of reasons.

Jump in backwards
Well, no need to jump. Put your heels a bit over the ledge, give a quick look behind you and just sit down onto an imaginary chair (nothingness) and gravity will take over. :D Roll over once you hit the water and you're good to go.

Well, no need to jump. Put your heels a bit over the ledge, give a quick look behind you and just sit down onto an imaginary chair (nothingness) and gravity will take over. :D Roll over once you hit the water and you're good to go.

Can I assume no ladder below you?

Back
Top Bottom