How to fix this leak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LI-er

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, thanks in advance for any assistance.

I recently purchased this whip to fill my pony bottles from a larger cylinder. I only used it a few times but I've had it for several months.

Now it's leaking from the fitting (see the arrow). I removed the debris shown in the close up picture of the fitting with a cotton swab and tried wrapping the threads with of the male fitting with teflon tape, and cranking down the tightening nuts as much as I can but it didn't have any effect on the leak. Doesn't seem like an O-ring goes in there.

Pictures include the whip, and both sides of the fitting.

Attachments

• IMG_2824.JPG
    IMG_2824.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2823.JPG
    IMG_2823.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2821.JPG
    IMG_2821.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 51
Mismatched fittings, how many threads are you able to use, check for burrs, tighten it really tightly, or not
Metal to metal is fine, if you have enough thread coverage and it seals which it seems to have been doing

My electric booster has some metals to metals

004.JPG

with no psssssssssssss

I don't understand where the O-ring would go, given that it's a flange (like a round cone) where the two pieces couple together. If it goes on the outside of the flange, how would that help as the metal fitting doesn't screw down that far.

I don't understand where the O-ring would go, given that it's a flange (like a round cone) where the two pieces couple together. If it goes on the outside of the flange, how would that help as the metal fitting doesn't screw down that far.
Perhaps your smooth cone has a different radius than the mating seat.
You need to go to a hydraulic transition and hose store. They will find the transition you need there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom