How to fix a leaky mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GM Cole

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’ve got a Mares X-Vision mask for which I’ve obtained after-market mass-produced prescription lenses.
I love this mask and these lenses. It fits sooooo perfectly and my vision is crystal clear. This is probably the best mask/lens combination I’ve ever owned and I have owned several.

EXCEPT, apparently the lenses don’t fit exactly. The glass/silicone interface leaks… a lot. I am constantly clearing. I can see the water running down the inside of the glass.

The mask and lenses are non-returnable and yes, I could just try buying new lenses or a different mask.

I could try aquaseal, or beeswax, some silicone-based aquarium sealing compound or try wrapping the lenses in Glad Press-n-Seal before installing, then cutting off the excess...

Yes, there are a lot of things that I could try that might work but I would really like to hear from anyone that has actual experience with a successful remedy for such a problem

First, check to see if the mask frame retaining the lenses was snapped in all the way, or if there is some debris in the channel where the glass seals to the silicone. Either one would not be uncommon.

Now, I am curious what lenses you put into there. The X-Vision masks have diopter glass inserts available in various strengths, from Mares. Those should fit the mask perfectly. I have never seen a "generic" insert for the X-Vision mask, that is a pretty specific uncommon shape. Mares options for the near sighted range from -1.0 to -7.0. Gauge reader versions range from +1.5 to +3.0. Current X-Vision pattern is at least a few years old, but is not the same as earlier versions - so new and old are not interchangeable. If you did manage to find an "after market" diopter that doesn't fit right, switch to the real deal.

If you need actual prescription lenses, (bifocal, astigmatism, prisms, etc.) that would be the opposite of "after-market mass produced." Some folks that grind a prescription might be able to shape the glass to fit into the X-Vision, but that would be pretty rare, if at all. More common would be a blank that is cut as close as reasonable to the shape, and then bonded to the existing glass.

The lenses I have are indeed the ones made by Mares and are not generic. They are mass-produced and not custom ground and they are not supplied with the mask. You have to buy them and put them in after you buy the mask thus I call them mass-produced, after-market (though they are OEM).

The mask and lenses are the new pattern. I also have the older Mares Liquid Vision mask with prescription lenses that uses the old pattern and that prescription is old (i.e. my eyes have changed). There is no way of mistakenly putting old pattern lenses in a new mask... it just will not fit.

I do have some astigmatism and need bifocals but the these standard (non-custom) diopter glasses work quite well enough for me and I use the hydro-tac stick-ons for the bifocals. These also work well for me.

I've had the lenses in and out if the frame several times looking for foreign matter or misalignment with no success.

I think I will make my first attempt to seal using Marineland brand aquarium sealer. It is food grade and available at the local aquarium store.

I had similar problem, when I changed glass on my AGA Divator. I used not original AGA glass, but from Poseidon Atmosphere.
It is the same... near the same :)
Poseidon glass has little more rounded corners....
When I tested it - I had small leakage of air in the corners. Just small bubbles, not dangerous, but annoying.
I used most simple way - Aquashure (aka Aquaseal)
Just put it in to the groove in the rubber, installed glass and tighten the frame.
It works fine! no leakage, no bubbles.
Just one con - it became just single-use :) non repairable in the future...
But if your glass is good, rubber fits nice - it should not be repaired in the future, right? :)
4812044918.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom