Info How to fix a BCD dump/inflator bladder flange connection (Deep Sea Supply)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scared Silly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In the early design of Deep Sea Supply wings the nipple/gasket for dump/inflator bladder flange was a one piece design (the soft gasket is ultrasonically welded to the nipple creating a flange). In certain circumstances or from use, it could fail. That happen on a wing I have. The dump valve cover got cross threaded and when I tried to remove it the gasket separated from the nipple.

The later design is a two piece design, a hard flange and a gasket. I was able to get the needed parts from Piranha Dive (Thanks Randy). The issue with the new design is the flange is hard and the hole in the wing shell/bladder is too small. Some people when doing this repair cut the wing shell and bladder, slide the flange through, then repair both. That is not needed.

Here is how I fixed mine.

Step 1. Cut a slot in the flange from the outer edge to the threads. The cut thickness is the exactly the width of two hacksaw blades. Sand smooth. First image.
Step 2. Slide both the edge outer shell of the wing and the bladder wing into the slot. Second image.
Step 3. Opposite the cut firmly grasp the outer shell of the wing and the bladder wing and push/slide the flange through the hole. Third image.
Step 4. Slide flange off the wing shell and bladder and position. Forth Image.
Step 5. Install the gasket and retainer.

The cut is so narrow that the pressure from the flange and the retainer that the gasket is compressed fully. No leaks and no need to cut the wing.

I have a patent to the slot.

IMG_3573.jpg
IMG_3575.jpg
IMG_3576.jpg
IMG_3577.jpg

Mate do not cut a slot, take your flange out, fold the hole in half, and work the flange in sideways

without using the slot

there is no need for a slot

Don't ask me it's physics or magic or something, get a shot of the look on your face when it slips in

Nobody cut a slot

010.JPG
012.JPG

014.JPG

and how is your flange all scratched up and covered in mess

034.JPG

and then you can move the flange out over, and fit a double gasket if you have one, if you so choose

These grey valves the best thing out there for cheapness for thread compatability and tighteningness

Mate I'm not here to make a thread mess I'm here to stop people sneaking out and flange slot cutting

So when people want help and don't put photos and those that do, why can't they put them like these

Come on man everything is beautiful I am pretty sure Edison did not stop after a hiccup
although I am pretty sure he reeled some when Westinghouse gave him a good kicking

Too much flange drama.
How come after 20 something years of using wings, disassembly, cleaning, assembly I’ve never experienced flange drama?
I’m missing out.

What about the ripping shoulder dumps out with the least force sending you to the bottom of the ocean drama

What about that great Aqualung, if we are bonding to urethanes, let us make the fittings from urethanes as well

002.JPG

But I agree, if I had not an abnormal amount of gear over many years, I would not have seen anything either

So even if you insist on the best you should still remember the rest

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom