How to find shipwrecks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aue-mike

Contributor
Reaction score
Interested in learning how to find accurate shipwreck coordinates to dive and fish? Check out this video to learn how to access a very useful database.

During the COVID-19 lockdown, I watched quite a few cool instructional and entertaining videos by my diving friends to help break the monotony. I've finally gotten around to doing one myself to help contribute to the cause. But this is for an even greater cause, as I see shipwreck exploration literally fading away before my eyes. The passion and desire for discovering, exploring, and identifying shipwrecks has all but evaporated--save a few pockets of effort here and there in the United States. So, I am going to try to reignite that passion by sharing some useful tools and resources to help find and dive (or fish!) shipwrecks. This first video shows how you can compile accurate shipwreck coordinates for many areas around the United States. No more combing through inaccurate hang numbers or dealing with bogus, phantom wrecks in many areas. There is so much information on this site, but I am starting with just the easy, straight-forward data and illustrate how we used this data to find the WILLIAM H. MACHEN in literally minutes while chatting online. It's a brave new world! In future videos I am planning on demonstrating how you can easily research archival information for shipwreck events in a given area, how to compile and curate a shipwreck database, and how use Google Earth to help you find and identify shipwrecks. So, if you like this sort of stuff, please subscribe and share this video. If you have any questions, please add them to the comments section of the video and I will do my best to answer. Enjoy!

Best thing I saw online today. Can't wait for the next one.

As a U.S. Navy veteran, I have a passion for shipwrecks. I started to dive CCR for smaller gas bills but also so I could eventually do longer dives when scouting for wrecks (something I really want to become a part of in the future).

I love this video and being outside the U.S currently, I look forward to your next installment. I have subscribed and clicked the bell so as to not miss any updates.

Back
Top Bottom