How to dry JJ rebreather lungs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FinnMom

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Asking for a friend who does not speak English. I do not own a rebe, so obviously I'm not qualified for those forums, therefore this question is here, not there. But I think you rebe persons likely follow these general forums, so here goes. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the questions were

(1) Has anyone tried drying the lungsof a JJ using a blower, like a blower used to dry shoes/mittens?

(2) What is the best way to dry the lungs of a JJ Rebreather?

Staff members with more experience may feel free to move this to rebe or JJ forums if they feel that is appropriate.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Moved for you.

RB lungs should not be dried at high temps so I would be careful with heaters and such.

I'm not a JJ diver but most lungs can be dried by leaving them open in a cool dry place. Just remember that you breathe from them so any foreign material is to be avoided so drying them with a cloth inside may be an issue.

I have a JJ. It's easy to dry the counterlungs - you just hang them upside down. I take a coat hanger, put the hook through the grommet at the lower end, hang it up and let the end with the T-pieces hang down. I wouldn't use a hair dryer.

RainPilot: Thanks for the move and I relayed your message.

DrMike:
The hole from which water should drain is more in the center, not at the bottom, so moisture remains inside.
Would it be OK to promote drying by creating air flow; could she suction air (gently) from one end with a vacume cleaner (create a flow of air), like is done to dry the cylinder when when oxygen-cleaning a cylinder?

RainPilot: Thanks for the move and I relayed your message.

DrMike:
The hole from which water should drain is more in the center, not at the bottom, so moisture remains inside.
Would it be OK to promote drying by creating air flow; could she suction air (gently) from one end with a vacume cleaner (create a flow of air), like is done to dry the cylinder when when oxygen-cleaning a cylinder?

I'm not sure what you are referring to. The JJ counterlung is two bladders connected by some fabric in the middle. The only places to drain and dry the bladders is from the T-pieces (or from the overpressure valve, when you pull the dump).

Here is a photo of the counterlung, and a drawing of how to dry it with a coathanger. I have not needed to do anything more than hang it for air drying, this seems to work fine.

jj_1.jpg
jj_2.jpg

DrMike.
Thanks, I relayed your message and photos. Personally I have never seen the innards of a rebe, I'm just the translator. It sounds like she was hanging the lungs at a different orientation than what you had in mind; the photo should be a big help. Thanks!

Yeah, it's a VERY well designed rebreather. The counterlungs seem to have some sort of stiffening material in the wall so that they don't completely flatten out. It's important to clean and disinfect them regularly, etc...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom