How to dive the Dry Tortugas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pscottbaker

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A few of us will be in Key West during the first and second week of July and are looking for a dive operator that goes to the Dry Tortuga's. I've emailed a few of the operators in Key West and sadly only one responded indicating that a charter operator could take us, however I haven't been able to locate a charter operator to call or email. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I assume a reputable charter would check ahead of time, and you may have already as well, but make sure that the NP is open. My son was slated to do a week of volunteer work out there late June and it was cancelled. Granted it could have been canceled for a plethora of reasons but just something to keep in mind.

Directly to your question Finz Dive Center has been recommended here on SB before. I have not used them (yet).

EDIT: I assume that there may well be many places to dive outside the NP area.

Its not diving but look at the float plane trip to FT Jefferson. One of the coolest things we have done and well worth the money. Took the afternoon flight to have the fort, island and tour to ourselves. Snorkeling was part of the trip. The flight out and back at low altitude was amazing. You could see the coral reefs, shipwrecks, turtles and rays at the surface. If your dive plans don't work, definitely check it out. Someone suggested this trip to us when we were planning on our Key West trip. It was the highlight of the trip.

I can't find the name of the company, but we were looking at doing an overnight camping trip in the DT's earlier this year before COVID struck. Ended up not happening.

Anyways, the company had private boats for hire to do diving, day trips and or camping trips where they dropped you off on a desolate island after a day of sightseeing with camp gear and food, then picked you up the next day. They were fully custom itineraries, and not cheap, but it was going to be a really cool trip.

It is a 70 mile run from Key West to the Tortugas, so it will be an expensive trip regardless.

The big ferry boat is more economic, and drops you off at the fort where you can snorkel and hang out.

As mentioned above, Finz runs a very fast day boat out to DRTO. 4 dives, or 3 dives and a fort visit. Spearing or photography.

I can’t recommend them highly enough, and they are the only game in town for diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom