How to dive currents in Komodo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abreeze

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,

My wife and I will be diving in Komodo National Park from a liveaboard in early October. I know that there will be strong currents, but on reading this board, no one actually describes what diving those currents are like. Since our only experience in currents has been Cozumel and Palau, I was wondering if anyone could give us any tips on how to dive Komodo?

In the past, with strong currents, we would basically hang on and go for a great ride, duck in the eddie behind a rock or outcropping, or stay as close to the bottom as possible. I know that some sites in Komodo have up/down/washing machine type currents - what exactly is the technique for diving these conditions? Do you try and swim sideways, towards or away from the wall, ride it out, etc.?

Any thoughts that would help us be better prepaired would be great.

Thanks

Late October will be our first trip to Komodo, so although I can't speak from experience there, we've been through the Indo washing machine in several other areas. I think your experience in Coz and Palau will put you way ahead of the game ... and all of your proposed solutions (Do you try and swim sideways, towards or away from the wall, ride it out, etc.?) will probably apply at one time or another.

If you get a short burst of current along a wall, in any direction, hugging the wall may work. But if it's a tidal flow of long duration, you'll have to bail eventually, and straight off the wall into the blue may get you to less current, as the currents often wrap themselves around the reef. But beware ... monitor your depth as you do so, making sure you aren't on the down elevator. In the worst case, you may have to add air to your BC as you continue to kick horizontally to escape the current. If you bust out of the current, be ready to vent your BC immediately and keep monitoring your depth.

If you're swept horizontally by a strong current, possibly away from your dive group, that's where the SMB, whistle, mirror, strobe, Dive Alert, and whatever else come into play. Be sure you're carrying some of them. If you've got a reef hook from Palau, take it along. Pack a spare mask too; a wicked current can potentially take yours.

It's common on wall dives that the current may change repeatedly during the course of one dive, so the plan ends up being that you get to your max depth, start along the wall, and zig-zag your way up as the current hits you in the face from one direction then the other.

I don't know what boat you're on, but we've been on boats in Indo where the DM is in the dinghy, over the side with his mask on, scouting the currents before the dive, then comes back to the boat and does the briefing based on the current. The good ones really do their best to see that you stay out of trouble.

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
Even when a hood is not needed for warmth I will bring a thin neoprene or fabric (non-neoprene like Polyolefin ) hood or bring my full length polyolefin suit that has an integrated but optional hood (if you don't have it on, it just hangs from the back of the neck). If expecting fierce currents I put the hood on first, pull it down to my neck, then after the mask is on then pull the hood back over my head so that the mask straps are under the hood. Also I will use it if there are little hard to see stingers in the water.

I also carry a small nylon rope about six feet long (two meters) with small loops tied into each end to use as a buddy line. Never put you full hand in it or clip it to your gear but just put two fingers in it so in case of potential entanglement you can easily let go. If you have spare rope of any kind, any boatman would be happy to have it.

At least this will keep you and you buddy close. On a dive in Indonesia I started out with my guide, because of the changing horizontal current got separated from him and ended up with another guide from the same dive operation and ended the dive with a third guide from another dive operation.

There are now Dive Alert type horns that combine in one unit, a horn for surface use as well as one for underwater use.

Above all, be ready to abort a dive if conditions warrant it. I was separated from the group at Mary's Maytag in Fiji (reference to the Maytag brand washing machine, this area has a back and forth current around a sea mount just like motion of a washing machine) and got caught in a down current along a nearby wall and aborted the dive. A year later two people went missing at the same dive site. When diving in areas known for down currents, carry as much of your weight as ditchable weight as you can.

In addition to HighDesert's excellent recommendations I would suggest always carrying a small underwater light primarily for day use (looking into crevices, under ledges, etc) which also be useful if you got separated from a group near sunset.

I was in Komodo two years ago on the Seven Seas and found the currents to be pretty moderate. At no point did we feel unsafe. The currents in Palua were far stronger and more unpredictable.

Just got back from 10 days on the Komodo Dancer. While some of the sites had decent current, no "mask ripping off, type. All of it was pretty straight forward along walls. Just tuck in behind a coral head or outcropping to slow down. Will mention I only brought my 3mm and was pretty chilly after a couple of dives, wish I had brought my 5mm.

Hi!

If you have dived Palau, you already have a good experience of currents.
Indeed, Komodo has up / down and even 'roller coaster' type currents. However, the dive plannings are made carefully to make sure all dives are conducted at the best time possible.
You will also get proper dive briefings before every dive; listen carefully and do not hesitate to ask questions. Remember, there are no "silly" questions when it comes to safety!

And, yes, water tend to get a bit chilly (the coldest I experienced in the Komodo area was 16C); a 5mm with hooded vest, and gloves are a 'must'.

Finally, enjoy your trip, the diving in Komodo is 'wow'!

What boat will you be on?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom