How to deburr the middle of a threaded rod?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaveSloth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was dumb and clamped a vice grip pliers onto one of the threaded rods holding my doubles together and now the nut wont turn past that spot. Any advice or tool I could use to straighten or deburr the crushed threads in the middle of the rod?

I'm generally not a proponent of Harbor Freight, but if you've got one nearby, they have a cheap tap & die set I own for just this purpose. Here.

If you're not familiar, a threading die is essentially a threaded nut, but made of hard tool steel and with sharp leading edges, used to cut threads onto UNthreaded rod. A tap is the equivalent for creating a female threads in a hole (or in this scenario, fixing a goobered nut).

You can also use a triangle file on 'Murican threads, if you've got one around. SAE threads are 60* - I can't recall if regular metric threads are as well, but I believe so. [Edit; yep. A triangle file should work for you either way, unless you've got some weird hardware]

Edit to add the link. Also, if you don't expect to be fixing threads with *some* regularity, you're probably better off just buying a new bolt.

A small triangle needle file should do nicely for threads that are not too damaged. Just align it with the threads at the damaged part and file a stroke or 2, test the nut and repeat as needed. A die works well but not worth the expense for just one use. Both imperial and metric threads are 60 deg. British Whitworth are 55....not that you will find them much in scuba (but I have)

Or a thread file
098F8AB1-73E2-477F-9D90-2F420106A89D.jpeg
4FD13A51-7258-4C66-A82C-DE24BCE9AACF.jpeg

At home I have a triangular file that has saved me several times. The thread file is even better.
But I am guessing that they are together and are not coming apart? At this point, and especially since you are working with a stainless bolt, reef on it. Break that rod and throw it away. Start new. Stainless galls up so easily it will never be right anymore. That threaded rod isn't anything exotic.

My answer might seem strange, but are you really expecting to be able to reuse that threaded rod? No need to save scrap.

A thread chaser would probably be preferable to an actual die in this case.

As a thread chaser I usually use an expendable high grade nut. If there much damage I chase it with a file first, if a lot I’ll replace it.

The first thing to do is try to use a nut to chase and clean up the bent threads! If one is cutting a threaded rod or bolt, one typically puts a nut on first and then removes the nut from the rod or bolt, which cleans up or chases the cut area treads. Works every time.

Thread on three high quality nuts. Run one down to the damaged area, and stop. Back the second one up to the third one close to the end of the rod so that they are jammed together. This gives you the leverage to put a wrench on the third one of the jammed set, and then run the first one past the damaged thread area of the rod.

God I hope that made sense!

We used to do this all the time when faced with this situation on our race cars.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom