How to clean rust stains from trilam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok I know they are supposed to be battle scars to be proud of...
But what if I want to clean stains from my Seaskin trilam drysuit? I accidentally touched a rusty chain with my knee and I would like to remove the stain. Just a piece of wet cloth with some mild soap on it?
Thanks

Leave it to wear off. All part of diving. Hang it up and dry thoroughly (possibly using a HangAir ventilated hanger). Wax the zips after every two or three dives. Roll it up with the zip on the outside.

Detergent and elbow grease to clean, but don't bother.

The only time my suit gets washed in fresh water is if I dive in fresh water. The only thing suits need need is to be dried properly, regardless if that's fresh or sea water.

Ok I know they are supposed to be battle scars to be proud of...
But what if I want to clean stains from my Seaskin trilam drysuit? I accidentally touched a rusty chain with my knee and I would like to remove the stain. Just a piece of wet cloth with some mild soap on it?
Thanks
Battle scars.

I have oil rig rust all over the trilam legs of my drysuit. It goes away eventually. 4 or 5 dives.

Don’t wear out the suit trying to keep it new looking, the fashion police don’t pay attention to Seaskin.

Have you tried those rust dissolving sprays? Something like: https://smile.amazon.com/Iron-Stain-Remover-Spray-Bottle/dp/B0044F9Q52

I think it should be safe on trilam plastic.
According to the compatibality chart for neoprene, Oxalic acid (the active ingredient in Iron-out) is death to neoprene.

Rust "dissolving" sprays don't dissolve rust. They chemically change it through the use of an acid, usually phosphoric, from red rust (Fe2O3) to black rust (Fe3O4). Some acids do not affect neoprene like Oxalic acid does, for instance, neoprene has excellent resistance to nitric acid and fair to Phosphoric acid. But I still wouldn't put acid on my $3500 trilam suit.

I think the question was for tri-laminate which does not use neoprene.
And Butyl is a 1 for resistance to oxalic acid.

I still don't think I'd put it on my drysuit.

You go ahead.

Wow, you want me to put it on yours because you are a chicken?

Wow, you want me to put it on yours because you are a chicken?
I consider them battle scars. But thanks for the offer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom