How to change a hose on a Sherwood Minimus octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ron_dodge

Contributor
Reaction score
Help ... I have a Sherwood Octo.png that I want to switch the standard hose out for a MiFlex hose. Can someone tell me where I should expect the octopus to separate from the hose? Is it at point 1 or point 2 in the picture? Thanks in advance.

Neither. Use 2 wrenches, one on the flats just to the the right of "1" and the other on the flats at "2". The hose will seperate just about half way between the points you show- about even with the end of the lower arrows top line. When restalling the second stage, be sure to lubricate the oring located inside the hose just to the right of your "1" and do not over tighten the connection on either end. The orings do the sealing, more torque does not mean a better seal. All you need is the connection to be tight enough not to come unscrewed by itself. If it leaks DO NOT tighten more, find and fix the problem. More torque is never the answer with leaking orings.

Neither. Use 2 wrenches, one on the flats just to the the right of "1" and the other on the flats at "2". The hose will seperate just about half way between the points you show- about even with the end of the lower arrows top line. When restalling the second stage, be sure to lubricate the oring located inside the hose just to the right of your "1" and do not over tighten the connection on either end. The orings do the sealing, more torque does not mean a better seal. All you need is the connection to be tight enough not to come unscrewed by itself. If it leaks DO NOT tighten more, find and fix the problem. More torque is never the answer with leaking orings.

Thanks herman. It wasn't obvious to me that the octo would separate from the hose where you described so I really appreciate the advice. My MiFlex hoses came today so your reply was timed perfectly.

Just to expand on Hermans post, when you attach the new hose make sure you tighten the flats against each other and do not tighten the 2nd stage flat i.e hold the 2nd stage flat so it does not move and snug up the hose end against it. If you over tighten the 2nd stage flat you can crack the casing. As Herman has posted don't crank on it finger tight plus a couple of mm is plenty.

If you have a torque wrench spec is 40 inch pounds. BTW if you have any colored rings left on your hose protector save those, they are your warranty parts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom