How to build or refresh skills if we only dive the tropics once-twice a year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are there any quarries or lakes nearby that you can dive? I can understand not wanting to fight river current . . .
I'm going to second this. Just because you don't live in the tropics, doesn't mean there aren't good places to dive near you. Try calling around to various dive shops in the area, and see where they do their check out dives - you may get some ideas. Heck, they'll probably invite you along (for a small fee).

And if that doesn't work, well, according to Google maps, there are dozens of lakes within an hour of Ottawa proper. You might look in the Canada forum for suggestions, or you could rent some gear and a flag, and go exploring for yourself

Reactions: FT
FT:
The options appear to be investing in 7 mm suits and vests and diving the St Lawrence more regularly (not an appealing prospect to the guy who grew up swimming against that wretched current off Brockville; he'd be really tough to talk into that),
Which is truly unfortunate, because the diving out of Brockville is quite enjoyable, and allows you to maintain, and further develop, skills. The drift dives can be a blast, there is a lot to see, and there is substantive history. We drive ~ 12 hours every 1-2 years, from NC, just to dive that area. I have dove various sites in a drysuit, but usually go with a 5mm in August when up there, and I am comfortable.
FT:
The TDI "Enhanced Diver Skills" course we took 1.5 years ago was terrifically educational if also humbling. We took a PADI refresher once in Bonaire: that was plain silly. We don't need it THAT basic.
Taking courses from good instructors is one useful way to meet your goals to 'refresh and improve'. While the substance of a Scuba review may vary, it sounds like that isn't providing the 'improve' component. Ultimately, as several posters have said, it is 'time in water', whether in a course or not, that makes a difference.

What about flying (direct) to Miami, then renting a car to drive the hour down to Key Largo?

Reactions: FT
I'm going to second (or possibly third) the suggestion to see if there are any quarries or lakes to do a bit of local diving in. Time in the water is what's going to make you a better diver. I dive all year, with a majority of my diving in the winter done in quarries (no thermocline so it's cold at any depth unlike summer where it's warm for the first 10m, then cold), with a few sea dives thrown in by the operators running them. As soon as the dive season is in full swing, one or 2 shallow sea dives and I'm ready for the deeper stuff.

OK: step one, call the local dive shops, see how much they will rent to us (all I own that would be useful here is a prescription mask, compass and computer; I remember calling around once to look for rental dry suits and apparently this is not a thing). Go along for an easy dive -- we have seen people in Centeen Park all the time, and it's true not ALL of them were in dry suits.

Step two: look harder into that Key Largo suggestion and try to combine it with good instruction.

Thanks very much to all.

Bonaire and Curacao will let you dive your socks off, if you take the shore diving route, can't get more freedom then that
you're pretty close to Toronto and A/C and Westjet fly direct to both those locations, in season though, september to april

FT:
Step two: look harder into that Key Largo suggestion and try to combine it with good instruction.

Thanks very much to all.

Don't discount flying into Ft Lauderdale or West Palm and diving the many opportunities in either locale with the multitude of excellent dive shops, operations, and instructors in those areas.

In the winter I dive in the indoor pools. The LDSs that I frequent offer individual pool time when they have their training. While many say this does not really count as a dive all I want to do is get wet and stay comfortable with my skills. You may still have to do a refresher course to get credit with dive ops .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1 for pool training as well during off-season. My LDS has open pool time whenever classes are not in session. If you don't have a pool at your shop - I would strongly suggest you find one. Its not terribly exciting but it does serve to keep the skills fresh.

I also live in Ottawa, and yes, there is a quarry that is about 25 minutes from downtown Ottawa, on the Quebec side. There are always people diving there on weekends and weeknights.

We are also at Centeen Park a lot (about an hour drive from mid-town Ottawa), and there is little to no current, if you stay within the 30' range, to work on skills, buoyancy, and trim. There is quite a silty bottom, so you will learn to pick up your fins, quickly. :) The water temp is 68F, right now (last weekend, we had two young guys in wetsuits, taking a GUE Primer course, there).

As already mentioned, the St. Lawrence is a pretty awesome place to dive, once you learn to use the current to your advantage. A wise person once told me, "As soon as you stop fighting the St. Lawrence River, you will learn to love the St. Lawrence River." :)

As far as pools go, in Ottawa, it is very hard to find a place, that divers have access to. We have done some inquiring about it, and are currently working towards getting some pool nights, once the colder weather comes. Send me a note to remind me, and I can keep you in the loop.

If you are ever interested in taking a skill refinement course, my other half is an instructor, and can help. You can also find us at the quarry, some Wednesday/Thursday nights. We'd be happy to have you join us, sometime.

Scuba Refresher courses vary dramatically. Some friends--a mother and her son--recently went on a trip on which they intended to dive after not having done so for a long time. They wanted to do a refresher with me before they went, but some last minute complications prevented that from happening. When they signed up to dive at their location, they paid an extra fee to have a refresher course. The refresher course turned out to be a few minutes of verbal review with a DM before the dive--they did not even go into the water. That was ridiculous. If they had done it with me, it would have been a 3 hour affair in which I made sure they left the pool as confident divers with solid buoyancy and skills. Same course name; same agency.

or maybe just admit that you are a "vacation diver" (like i am) and adapt and adjust your expectations accordingly.

Be sure you understand the conditions you will be diving in before you get there. If different than what you have already experienced (and did better than just okay at!) then consider "additional training" as part of the vacation. Build skills enhancement into your vacation plans - something to look forward to. If you can not (will not?) do it at home, then do it there. This likely means hiring a private DM for a bunch of dives and/or taking an official course. Also be prepared to thumb a dive before it happens if you are not comfortable with it (like the Belize Blue Hole). You will live to dive another day.

This also means the first dive of every trip is a check out AND refresher dive. I am an avid photographer. I never take a camera on the first dive of a trip. I know I am rusty so I minimize distractions. Keep it simple.

If I was to head somewhere where I would meet new conditions (like a deep drift dive in Cozumel) I would plan to hire a personal DM for as "many dives as it takes" for me to become competent in the conditions. That may mean 1 dive, it may mean all week long.

P.S. This may also mean that as a "vacation diver" you need to set your expectations regarding dives you can do. For me the Galapagos is sexy and alluring, but not something I can handle without additional training (cold, big current, deep, low viz). I believe that getting that training onsite in the Galapagos is a real bad idea. So Galapagos is currently off my list of viable dive trips.

Back
Top Bottom