How to bring down the camera (with and without current)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hory

Contributor
Reaction score
Got a couple of questions for you folks experienced in U/W photography and this is on how you safely bring down the camera (with 1 or 2 strobes) when starting a dive.

1. What is the best way to get into the water with your camera? Some of the ways I could think of are:
a. Back roll with it
b. Get in the water and have someone hand it to you
c. Lower the camera using a line with 6lbs of lead weight at say 10-15 feet, and get the camera at that depth
d. Others. Please share.

2. If a mild to strong current were in play, how would you bring the camera down?

I ask this question because an officemate of mind backrolled with his camera (Canon digital on a housing) and it must have jarred the camera and caused a leak. The camera was a total loss. Just want to avoid same situation.

Thanks in advance,
Hory

I've learned from the good people in this forum to always have someone pass you the camera. Don't roll or do a stride entry because you'll jar the o-ring and flood your housing. It takes 2 seconds to ask and nobody minds doing it.

As for descending, I clip my onto a D Ring with one of those clips that climbers use. I clip it back on when I do an ascent so my hands are free to control buoyancy and watch my comuter.

I don't use a strobe but I'd say it would still be a practical method if I did.

is right on I use the Nikonos v with two strobes and ALWAYS have someone, hand it to me on entry and take it from me on exit.
I also take my own bucket to fill with water to keep it in just in case the boat do's not have one.
One boat I use complained the bucket took up to-much room and asked me to put my system on a bunk bed. I asked the Capt if he would pay for it if it got damaged, he no longer complains about the bucket and other people have put there equipment in it.

I agree with the others, always have someone hand your rig to you. I have a cord about 3 ft long with brass clips on either end. For those cases where the DM is too busy to hand me my camera, there a good surface current, we're on a small boat without crew, etc. I clip my camera to this cord and drop it down to my buddy already in the water.

Here's what I use. The Stretch coil lanyanrd at teh top. I have one of the MC79's on each handle of the camera housing permanently via the cord on one end, then I use the brass clip to attach one to each shoulder d-ring. They hold it nice and close while I'm looking at stuff and have a snap-clip that you can unhook and you get to put it at arms length and still have it attached to you via the coils. Snap it back close to you and you don't have to worray about hangin on if current or on your saftey stop.

Folks,

Extremely good suggestions! Thank you for all your posts!

Best,
Hory

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom