How to attach Oly case to BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aymanme

Registered
Reaction score
I recently purchased the Olympus case (pt-006) for my wifes digital camera. We are going on a trip in a few weeks. I finally took it out of the box to test it and make sure that it didnt have any problems (sans the camera naturally). Out of the box, it had a small wrist lanyard attached to a tiny connector on the side of the latch.

How do people attach this thing to a BC? My first thought was to use a regular retractor and attach the end to the camera with a nylon zip tie. Perhaps somebody here as a more elegant solution. During a search I found somebody had mentioned that a weight exists for the camera, but I could not find a place to purchase it. I had planned on milling one out, but if somebody already has one that is much easier.

thanks
- ayman

I use a coiled lanyard similar to this one only mine has a brass clip...

snappyorig.jpg

You can usually find them in dive shops from different suppliers...Cetaesa, Innovative Scuba, Prinseton Tech, etc.

The best $20 insurance I ever bought!

My Pt-010 case came with a rubber coated counter weight that screws into the tripod mount on the bottom of the case.

I use an identical clip to the one pictured by Dee, but I have a second, retractor clip fastened to another ring on my BC.

Why? Because the instructor who introduced me to underwater photography suggested that it was worth protecting a major investment with two points of attachment. It's a good point, especially if you're aiming to counter the normally positive buoyancy of your housing.

(I was interested to read of Dee's screw-in counterweight - my PT005 didn't come with one. It does seem a good idea to have one outside the case, rather than potentially causing mayhem inside amongst the controls. Mmmm!)

Mike

Thanks for your tips. I'll grab a lanyard or two when I am at the shop today to pick up my stuff for our trip.

As for the counterweight, I never did find one. Instead, I measured the density of the camera + housing. I then calculated what it would take to make it neutral. Of course the water temp and salinity make a difference, but I just needed to be in the ball park. I found that for the pt006 and camera, a stainless weight of about 270g was required. I found a nice square piece of stainless that was slightly heavier (about 280 iirc). I found a convenient spot, drilled a hole for a quarter 20 and then countersunk the bolt.

I tool dipped the stainless (didnt have to) to give it a pretty red finish. With the countersunk bolt, the camera now can sit on a table flat on its base. Overall I am satisfied with the weight. It would have required less lead than stainless (11g/cm3 vs 8.8g/cm3), but stainless is significantly more human friendly.

Here are a couple of pictures, the first is after countersinking the bolt, the 2nd is after the rubber coating.

- ayman

Ayman....

Here's a pic of the counterweight that came with my PT-010. I didn't take one of it by itself but it's a smidge over an inch wide and you can see the length. It's also been rubber coated.

The black cord you see is my cable lanyard.

aah.sized.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom