How to aim video lighting, when using 2 lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkt0912

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all !!!! It's been a while.... 4 years to be exact !!!! lol
I am currently in the OW cert class w/ my wife and loving every minute of it !!!! I have a quick (hopefully) question..

How am I suppose to aim, or what type of pattern am I looking for with 2 video/constant lights?
I have a GoPro Hero2 w/ the GoPro dive housing and I just bought a Big Blue 2 Light GoPro set-up. There are two 450 lumen lights, both with ball swivels and an R-Innovations tray. The build quality appears to be outstanding by the way.
So my question is this.... Do I split the light patterns and have two distinct circles, or do I aim them so that there is one complete "brighter" circle?
I have also been testing it w/ 720p, 960p (both wide) and then the 1080p narrow. The narrow just creates too much noise, although it does allow the lights to fill the frame. Any thoughts on that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!!
Ty

You should aim so that the two beams merge at around one foot from the camera. In theory putting the lights straight ahead from the handles should do it. The lights you have only cover 53 degrees so if you put them away from each other you end up with a shadow in the middle
Also consider that with that power you can really cover 5 feet max and it won't be that bright in day light anyway

On your second consideration tour set up will cover from one foot onward at best you will have 90 degrees coverage from the lights
In terms of field of view the widest set up will surely have darkness away from the centre
The narrow view will most likely be all lit but as the gopro actually crops the image there is no need to use that
The medium setting will also not be completely lit however should have limited barrel distortion and the edges cropped should leave the picture sharp
Still t is possible you need to crop more

As lights somewhat limit underwater video you rarely find cameras with more than 90 degrees fov in water
The gopro doesn't have this limitations but when it comes to lightning you will need to come to terms with cost and coverage

Thanks for your response and sorry for mine being so late. I have set it all up and will be testing it.... well, hopefully soon !!!! lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom