How strong is a 1 knot current for diving in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheWetRookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all, where I dive we rarely have to worry about currents but I am going to be exploring some new dives sites soon that are current dependant and was wondering, how strong is a 1 knot current for diving in?

Some sites I know can be done as a drift dive but others can't.

Thanks

Hi all, where I dive we rarely have to worry about currents but I am going to be exploring some new dives sites soon that are current dependant and was wondering, how strong is a 1 knot current for diving in?

Some sites I know can be done as a drift dive but others can't.

Thanks
If you are slick in the water the way your gear is configured, and you are totally trimmed out horizontal ( no head up and feet down swimming)..and you have freedive fins on..and lastly, if you ride a bicycle a few days per week so that you have good finning fitness.....then moving anywhere you want in a 1 knot current is no big deal.

For many Florida divers, this is a complete non-issue that we would not require a drift dive for....However, it is usually SMARTER to do a drift dive whenever you have a real current.

One knot will move about 30 metres in one minute... as mentioned, you run outta fun real quick kicking into a one-knot current fully equipped.

If you are going to anchor up for this dive, I see a jon line in your future.
Eric

Put it like this, doing a 440 (that's 1/4 mile) in 10 minutes means that you're moving at 1.3 knots.

For the typical recreational diver, you will be able to hold your own against 1 knot of current for a short duration ... depending on individual fitness and how well trimmed you are. But it won't be much fun, unless you're really into aerobic activities. For most of us, anything over about a half-knot becomes more effort to kick against than it's worth for more than a couple minutes at a time.

People tend to overestimate how well they can do against current. Water's really heavy stuff, and when it's hitting you in the face, it quickly becomes an irresistable force.

This picture, which I took recently in the Maldives, shows divers in about 1.5 to 2 knots of current ... note that they're not trying to swim against it ...

EagleRay-1-1.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks all, this has been very helpful for me and I am sure others.

I can swim, in mask, snorkel, and a swim suit 1 nautical mile in an hour (1 knot) using a breast stroke in order to keep my back level without twisting (I am on my 3rd back operation so this is a necessity). I would not like doing this in gear for more than a few minutes and if you add any extra gear, like a camera, wreck/goodie bag, etc. it would not be possible.

I can pull myself around a wreck in a 1-1.5 knot current, but not swim around the wreck in that current. Above 1.5 knots and you can start getting mask flutter and flooding and above 2 knots I have seen masks taken off a diver and the 2nd stage diaphragm depressed by the water and free flow when pointed into the current.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom