How some Dolphins dive a kilometre down and don’t get the bends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shoredivr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Diving a kilometre down and not getting 'the bends' — how dolphins do it | CBC Radio

“In his second study, the hypothesis was that the Bermudian population must have extra squishy lungs to prevent damage from compression, but that's not what they found. This suggests the dolphins might use other means to avoid the bends. So they came up with a new hypothesis: the dolphin is able to control gas exchange between their lungs and blood to manipulate the amount of nitrogen that enters their bloodstream to avoid diving-related problems.”

“The interesting thing about dolphins and some other marine mammals is that their lung architecture is different from humans'. Once they dive past the five meter point, the bottom half of each of the two lobes of the Bermudian dolphin's lungs naturally collapses due to pressure and their lung architecture. This is very useful during deep dives because it prevents nitrogen from getting into their bloodstream, as there's no air in the bottom half of the lungs.”

“These adaptable dolphins are also able to manipulate their body to send blood to different regions of the lungs. "There's been evidence that they can select the heart rate, and basically the volume of blood that is pumped out from the blood per minute," said Fahlman.”

“As a result, blood only goes to the compressed regions of their lungs, and not the gas-filled regions, thereby preventing gas exchange.”

“But how do they get oxygen? According to Fahlman, they do it by sending tiny amounts of blood to the gas-filled regions of their lungs to exchange a little bit of oxygen and carbon dioxide. But they're able to make sure that nitrogen doesn't get into the blood during the gas exchange by varying the rate of air flow and blood flow. “

“When the dolphins manipulate this perfectly they're able to avoid getting nitrogen into their bloodstream, says Fahlman. Fahlman calls them the elite dolphins of the species, similar to elite human athletes who can manipulate their heart rate and physiology to achieve mind-blowing feats.”

Last edited:
Dolphins are mammals, they breath at the surface. Same partial pressure of air at the bottom as they had at the surface. Just like free divers. Still .79 N2.

Yea I am confused, if your not taking in new nitrogen under the surface how could you get the bends?

It is confusing but it sounds like what they’re saying is that the dolphins can get the oxygen from the compressed gas while somehow skipping the nitrogen, a kind of selective gas uptake, if true a very neat trick!

Whales do it deeper: still don't get bent.

The question for me is not how they don't get bent, but how their organs don't get crushed, or their ribs snapped at those depths/pressures. Humans would suffer from compressive arthralgia and not be able to move. Cetacea seem to be largely immune to that.

What I want to know is how they went back to the sea how I can speed up the process

Dolphins are mammals, they breath at the surface. Same partial pressure of air at the bottom as they had at the surface. Just like free divers. Still .79 N2.
0.79 is the fraction of Nitrogen at depth, not the partial pressure.

Same partial pressure of air at the bottom as they had at the surface. Just like free divers.

I don't think so. Whether you're a scuba or a free diver, pressure transmitting through the body will compress the lung volume down, so the gas density inside is achieved either way; at 33 feet (10 meters), a scuba diver can breath compressed air, or a free diver's lungs volume diminish by 50%, either way giving you double the partial pressure of nitrogen.

I may be off on this; it was my understanding.

Now, a free diver (human or dolphin) diving with one breath through the whole dive should, I would think, have a lot less potential nitrogen to enter his blood stream than a scuba diver who keeps breathing & refreshing the supply in his lungs.

Is there enough nitrogen in one lung full such that it can get into the body well enough to cause the bends coming out? What about human free divers; are the record setting deep free divers known to have issues with the bends?

Wonder if these dolphins do quick repeat dives to great depth, or engage in some sort of 'surface interval' in the shallows to off-gas? And how long are they staying deep?

Richard.

Think about it: a dolphin breaths in about 6 liters or a quarter of a mole of N2. I'm spitballing here, so I'm rounding quite a bit for simplicity. No, I can't find the total volume of air in their lungs, so we'll just use that.

If the entire lung collapses to only 3 liters at 10meters (33ft), there is still only a quarter of a mole of N2 in there. Mind you, the deepest ever recorded for a bottlenose dolphin was 300 meters. That's not a typo. 31 freakin' atmospheres of pressure. Wow. If the lungs compressed to match the pressure then they would be only 2 tenths of a liter. From 6 to 0.2 with no damage. Wow. Still, there's only a quarter mole of nitrogen. Again, I can't find this, but the average adult bottlenose is about 300 kg while the average human is only 62, We have 5 liters of blood, so they probably have 25 liters of blood. Actually, they would have a lot more, since they are marine mammals, but lets keep this conservative. Each one of those liters of blood will have one atm of N2 at the surface or a little more than one mole. If they absorbed all the nitrogen in their one breath, then we're adding just another quarter of a mole to bring the total to 1.25. See? You're just not adding that much n2 to the whole system. We haven't even started to add in the other areas where that excess N2 can be stored: just the lungs. So, on the surface, the blood will have a supersaturation of 125%. Not much in the grand scheme of things. They started out with a quarter mole extra and that was evenly distributed over their volume of blood. Not much a hat trick.

But withstanding those pressures without experiencing compressive arthralgia: Wow. Simply wow.

Fraction and partial are interchangeable values.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom