How snug should a built in drysuit boot be - cold water diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basking Ridge Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How much room or no room should you leave for socks with a drysuit?
I tried a 26 cm boot and my toe was rubbing on the boot with a single cotton layer sock.
I tried a 27 cm boot and felt much better similar to a sneaker fit but it was recommended to go one size larger...
So should I go to a 28 due to socks in the winter? I am not growing any more so I am curious this is my first drysuit purchase.
Thanks for any input.

wear the socks you intend to wear, then choose the boot based on the exposure protection you are planning on wearing. Shoes that are too small are the worst.

That said, I would recommend ditching the boots and go with socks and overboots as it is a much better combo, but that's just me

What I did was tell the shop that sold me the suit what temperature water I planned to dive and my street-shoe size. Based on those two criteria, they recommended a boot size.

That's an interesting question. In hiking boots too big is usually worse than (a little) too small, since having your foot slide around is a sure way to get massive blisters. Since you don't have all your weight on your feet when finning "too big" might not be so terrible with dry boots.

all the more reason for ditching integrated boots and going with socks and overboots that you can lace up.

I have a Waterproof D7 Cordura ISS lined up that comes with integrated boots - so although I have read about rock boots and such - for this purchase I think I am going to stay with the boot.

I was curious if you want to be able to wiggle your toes or have them locked down similar to a ski boot or snug like a wetsuit boot...

Snug like a wetsuit boot when you are wearing the thickest socks you will be wearing with the drysuit.Loose boots are just as bad as tight drysuit boots. Loose boots may twist around and turn upside down on your foot and will be most painful and may cause injury to your foot.

There's a catch with integrated boots. They need to be big enough to accomodate the thickest socks you want to ware in winter, but will maybe be to big in summer wearing thinner socks.

I ended up wearing winter socks all year round. Not nice. Mine are snug btw, wearing winter socks. I don't like loose soles because to tend to creep up.

I ordered my first drysuit with integrated boots that were too big. The problems were that the oversize boots didn't hold my feet well, trapped too much air, and made it difficult to get my fins on and off. I was able to alleviate two of the problems by installing a pair of insoles, which also made it more comfortable to walk across jagged rocky shores.
I went a size smaller with my second suit and have been happy since. I don't care for over boots / rock boots as they are more difficult to get on and lace up securely. I've also found that my feet don't ever get too warm, so I always wear the same thickness socks, unless the water is especially cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom