How sick before trip insurance kicks in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeltaWardog

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just how sick do you have to be before you can make a claim on trip cancellation insurance? What do they consider "reasonable"? Throwing up, fever? I feel like I'm coming down with something really nasty and am supposed to get on a plane in less than 24 hours. I'm worried about traveling to Mexico and ending up in bed with the flu for a week instead of diving.

Depends on your insurance company. If you are thinking of cancelling, I'd be sitting in the doctor's office getting a letter from him on his letterhead that you are too sick to travel. The insurance company doesn't really care if you dive or not, they care if you can get on the plane. Be sure your doctor spells out in his letter that you will not be well enough to get on an airplane.

Yeah, to be more specific I'm asking what does a doctor consider "too sick to travel"? If I go in there with flu symptoms are they just going to say "suck it up and go get on the plane", do I have to be running a 104 fever, or what? I don't want to blow a $50 copay only to be told the flu isn't a good enough reason to not get on an airplane.

Not looking for anyone to diagnose me over the internet or provide an ironclad guarantee, just looking for what others have experienced if they've been in this situation.

I cannot imagine any doctor telling a patient with cold/flu symptoms that it's ok to fly. Doctors know how easily pathogens are transmitted when people are in close proximity.

Go to the doctor.

Read the terms of the policy.

Remember though, that insurance companies make the big bucks by following a four word mantra: "Collect premiums. Deny claims."

They aren't going to take your word for it, you will need proof, as in see a Dr.

I would call the ins co and ask them what they want specifically, they may have a form the Dr needs to fill out.

You won't get grief from your Doc. Just ask for a statement stating you are under his care and unable to travel until x date. The nature of the illness is irrelevant.

You won't get grief from your Doc. Just ask for a statement stating you are under his care and unable to travel until x date. The nature of the illness is irrelevant.

Sure, your doc won't give you grief but he isn't the one making the decision on your insurance claim.

Thanks all, turned out to be a non issue - I really felt like I was getting the flu but it must have just been a 24 hour thing. The day after I posted we flew out and I felt "ok" and today I am 100%. Close call!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom