How old to become a viable scuba instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InTheDrink

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

No idea what forum to post this under so MODS please feel free to switch.

I pretty much retired last year at the age of 45. Seems great doesn’t it. But life is never that simple so I’m looking at something else to do. Something that doesn’t involve board rooms or offices.

I’m a DM with about 1k dives in all types of waters and was a live aboard dive guide for a while, in some challenging conditions/environments.

Am I too old to become an instructor as a genuine career change? For the next few years til my kids are fully grown it would be an instructor in the UK where you don’t typically get paid. By the time I’m 50 kids will be gone so México or Egypt to live and instruct (and where my existing money would go a lot further) would be amazing.

But would anyone hire a 50 yr old Instructor or even DM? I’d have qualified a fair few people by then I’d imagine but just wondering what views operators would take on hiring someone at 50. I’m in good physical condition (apart from a recent injury).

Thanks,
John

The short answer, is that age is no limitation. Indeed maturity and experience are valued as an asset.

You'll get lots of different opinions from people, but as an instructor myself:

Firstly you have to decide if you want to teach, and whether you enjoy it. Teaching the occasional class is way different from teaching daily. It can be both rewarding and frustrating at the same time

One start down the path it's time to figure out what type of shop you're willing to work at. They may, give you a mix of guiding and teaching or it might be almost back to back teaching. I found my niche early on in that I prefer Rescue, Divemaster and IDC Candidates as well as certain specialities. Soon when I get my finger out I'll qualify as a Tec Instructor - for basic tec courses, haavign zero interest in Trimix etc myself

I detest EFR but do it when i can't get out of it - I'm ambivalent to OW

As anything once you start your views may change.

I can't properly answer your question but I'm 48, live in the UK (also on the south coast) and am close to qualifying as a DM having got into diving in the last couple of years. Many of the other DMs at our dive centre are around this age (we have a couple of DMTs in their 20s). Instructor ages range from 20s to 50s with a bias towards the older age. This doesn't seem to stop the centre being busy. So financially I can't say, but as for age being a factor in peoples' decision-making about a choice of centre, it doesn't seem to be an issue. In fact I think many people feel more confident thanks to the oodles of experience that's on offer from them all, most are experienced tec divers.

Hi,

No idea what forum to post this under so MODS please feel free to switch.

I pretty much retired last year at the age of 45. Seems great doesn’t it. But life is never that simple so I’m looking at something else to do. Something that doesn’t involve board rooms or offices.

I’m a DM with about 1k dives in all types of waters and was a live aboard dive guide for a while, in some challenging conditions/environments.

Am I too old to become an instructor as a genuine career change? For the next few years til my kids are fully grown it would be an instructor in the UK where you don’t typically get paid. By the time I’m 50 kids will be gone so México or Egypt to live and instruct (and where my existing money would go a lot further) would be amazing.

But would anyone hire a 50 yr old Instructor or even DM? I’d have qualified a fair few people by then I’d imagine but just wondering what views operators would take on hiring someone at 50. I’m in good physical condition (apart from a recent injury).

Thanks,
John

John...

With exceptions...age and health should not impede you at 50...having said that...you're considering embarking off on a journey to spend thousands to earn hundreds...that for the most part will not be anywhere near enough to support you...

Consider a local pub job...and keep scuba diving as a love...but never a life...

Best...

Warren

I retired out of the UK 12 years ago.
I was an instructor in my spare time.
Found a job here on the island we live on.
Never looked back.
Now in my 60's and still going strong.
Just be aware that you ain't going to get rich, you will probably need another source of income.
Also you need a real love if teaching. Here it is 6 months solid, 3 months quieter, and 3 months with nothing happening.
Not exactly your 9 to 5 Monday to Friday LOL.

My guess would be that you should no longer teach when you can't safely deal with rescue situations. If you can still deal properly with the heavy gear, control a panicky diver, tow them to safety, and render proper first aid then go for it.

Diving itself is not that physically demanding when things are going well. It becomes physically demanding though when something goes wrong. If you can deal with that then the rest should be cake.

Good luck.

When you are too old to drive a 1996 VW, eat Ramen for dinner 3 nights a week, have a hot $185.00 in your savings account, and occasionally drink too much and bazooka barf, you are probably too old to be a dive instructor.

I retired out of the UK 12 years ago.
I was an instructor in my spare time.
Found a job here on the island we live on.
Never looked back.
Now in my 60's and still going strong.
Just be aware that you ain't going to get rich, you will probably need another source of income.
Also you need a real love if teaching. Here it is 6 months solid, 3 months quieter, and 3 months with nothing happening.
Not exactly your 9 to 5 Monday to Friday LOL.

Yup. I've run into a good amount of 45+ year old DM's and instructors. Most of them have one or more additional income sources. ex. Pension, spouse has a 9-5, etc.

Back
Top Bottom