How Negatively Buoyant Are ScubaPro Jet Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I may be wrong about my fins (without lightning bolt) being of newer vintage since I bought them used.

Ah, okay, that may explain it. I got mine used as well, and they looked pretty darned nice for being 25+ years old, so I could see where you would get older ones and think they were newer. They do seem to last :)

I suppose if you cared (and you may not since it is essentially trivia) you could compare them to newer ones, since I think that the sizing has changed in the past couple of years (if I remember it correctly, XL used to be very large as compared to L - there was a huge gap - now XL is smaller and the huge one is XXL).

Cool, thanks for all the answers. I guess with the Large, that comes to a total negative buoyancy of 1lb...probably. Would you say that adding spring straps would increase that to about 1.5lbs total?

Still might test it without ankle weights, as I think my current fins are positively buoyant (Atomic Splits).

The numbers I provided for the XL fins (they only ones I have) were with spring straps.

Sigh, this is why I asked for specific numbers. I don't care about the comparisons to other fins

Still might test it without ankle weights, as I think my current fins are positively buoyant

You should care about the comparison, becaus the amount of weight you can remove depends on the buoyancy change between your old & new fins, not the Jets themselves. Also in the future when other people are searching for the same answer, it would help when they came across this thread if it had some more info in it. Lastly it's just kind of annoying (to me anyway) when people post threads just wanting a single piece of information without sharing anything. Doesn't really make me feel like helping. YMMV

I respect your experience and opinions, Tortuga68, and I understand your point of view.

However, I'll pull this thread on a tangent with my perspective, so you may understand my view. It's kind of annoying when I ask one clear question and people answer plenty of others WITHOUT answering the original question. I don't mind the extra answers, but I at least wanted an answer to the original question.

Here's some background. I searched numerous articles for information on the buoyancy of the Jet Fins before asking (as I'm sure most people would want - no one wants multiples of the same thread), and ALL these side questions were answered multiple times (including comparisons, etc.). But none of them answered the specifics. I wanted to have a thread that only dealt with the specific number of negative buoyancy for the Jet Fins, mostly for my purposes and maybe so that when others have the same question in the future, they don't get bogged down by copies of the same thread.

I only asked specifically in order to avoid making a copy of past threads AND to make sure the answer got answered. My original response, although terse, reflected my annoyance at not having the question answered.

End of Tangent.

Scuba_Noob;
Get or borrow the fins just like you want them, get a small digital scale, submerge the fins and read the weight. I will not get into the salt vs fresh water bouyancy change, but it's minute and easily figured. Surely less than a pound each.

Bill

I've measured them before, they are just about -1lb for the pair.

Reactions: Wah
How negatively buoyant are ScubaPro Jet Fins? Specific numbers please.

I just ordered one and want to calculate how much weight I can remove from my ankles.

Yes, I have read the countless Jet Fin threads, but nobody knows the exact number. Please only answer if you know at least a general number.

(PS I know I've posted a lot in this section recently:shakehead:)

EDIT: Large size, without spring straps (give me the numbers for with spring straps too).
Each of my Jet Fins, XL with spring strap, and lightening bolt in fresh water weighs 10oz negative (1.25 lbs for a pair) with my scale

I am getting .6 to .8 negative on Lightening Bolt Jets in size XL (black) with spring straps. So for a pair then double those numbers. I have a yellow pair and they seem to be right at .6, maybe a little less.

Back
Top Bottom