How much will a red color correction filter help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DjDiverDan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm a total novice at underwater photography, or any photography for that matter, and I have no desire to buy or lug around an expensive and unwieldy camera outfit with strobes. I do have the small Intova 9.5 MP Digital Camera with housing, and I love it - small, easy to pack, easy to carry, easy to operate underwater, takes both still photos and video. My only complaint is the coloring -- with all the reds washed out, underwater photos and videos get a very bluish tinge. There is a red color correction filter that Intova sells to fit my camera, but before I drop $38 on a filter, I thought I'd ask the pros - does the red filter work? How much does it improve underwater shots? Will there be a limited range in which it works - like great photos of macro shots from 24" or less away, but useless for shots beyond 6' to 8'? Is it worth the cost?

Red filters work to a degree but as the name suggests, they filter light requiring you to stay even more shallow. The price doesn't sound extortionate... I'd go for it. However it won't make up for the 'basic' limitations of the camera itself.

Red filter + 30' max depth should equal more colourful photos.

It's difficult to get good colour from 6' away from the subject unless in really shallow water. Within 3' is a better range.

image.jpg

Taken with a cheap Nikon point and shoot in an ikelite housing with a color correcting filter at 35' (give or take). The picture is unaltered otherwise, so yes in clear fairly shallow water it makes a big difference.

Back
Top Bottom