how much weight do i need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mangoconchile

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
im going to be purchasing some soft weights thru amazon(free shipping thru prime) and had a couple of questions. i used a scuba weight calulcator to calculate my lead based on my body weight(195), type of wetsuit(7mm), tank, and water(salt). based on this information, it gave me an estimate of 22-29 pounds depending on the type of tank I used(steel or aluminum). here is the calculator I used:

http://www.cochranescuba.com/weight_calculator.htm

1)how accurate are these calculators?
2)I purchased a weight integrated back inflated bc(scubapro seahawk). this bc has 2 weight pockets in the front and 2 trim pockets in the back. based on this, what is the ideal weight configuration? for example, 4x5 lbs vs 2x 10 lbs for the front? what would be best in the trim pockets?

im probably going to be taking a buoyancy class next, but id like to get an idea of what i will need. thanks

Totally inaccurate... i.e. at least for me. With a ss/bp, steel 85 tank, a 5mm wet-suit, in salt water, I use no weight. Somebody is smoking something.

Do a weight check: put on all your gear, tank w/500 psi BC empty. You should float at eye level with full lungs (breath held) and descend on exhale, when properly weighted.

Agreed, a weight calculator is not very reliable. Start with the amount you dove in your open water class, but you need to get in the water and test your buoyancy, because I can guarantee you were over-weighted. Also understand that even if you do this and get your weight just right, the amount of weight you need will fluctuate depending on your weight and body composition, your exposure suit, tanks, gear, and your skill as a diver.

What you are looking for to be ideally weighted is.

- Your kit should be light enough to swim to the surface with a complete failure of your BC
- Your kit should be heavy enough to permit you to hold a safety stop at 10' with 500 psi.

And never put all your weights into one system if you need more than a few pounds. Putting ten pounds in each pocket is a good way to get hurt or killed if you accidentally lose one at depth. You've just lost a 1/3 of your ballast. The BC is one system, add a belt or weight harness. Then put the smallest amount you'd need to drop in an emergency in the one you are most likely to ditch first.

I just did this calculator and it was surprisingly close to my needs with my drysuit. I didn't check it with my wetsuit. It was maybe slightly over but not by much.

I'm few pound smaller at 140 lbs. and with 7 mm, hood, gloves, booties I dive 18-22 lbs. with AL80's and about 12-14 lbs. for steel tanks. The calculator is almost identical to the one in the PADI books for calculating approximate weight to start. As recommended an official weight check either or both before and after is required to know exactly how much weight to use. You could always start with buying the minimum amount you think you need the buying more if necessary. Easier to buy more than sell or get rid of weights if you didn't need them. I also use a variety of sizes between 1 lbs. to 4 lbs. and distribute around my BC as needed for whatever the conditions are for that specific dive.

And never put all your weights into one system if you need more than a few pounds. Putting ten pounds in each pocket is a good way to get hurt or killed if you accidentally lose one at depth. You've just lost a 1/3 of your ballast. The BC is one system, add a belt or weight harness. Then put the smallest amount you'd need to drop in an emergency in the one you are most likely to ditch first.

Not to get too picky Jim, but what's the difference from putting weights into a pocket of a BC as opposed to all or most of the weights on a belt? I've seen failures with both systems. One can lose a weight belt as well, maybe not as easily but it is possible.

Went back and checked again with the 3 ml and fresh water. It was within 2 pounds. I'd say that this calculator is much more accurate than any other calculator that I've ever seen. I'm pretty careful with my weights and I run a little on the light side so the fact that it puts me 2 pounds heavy is probably about right.

im going to be purchasing some soft weights thru amazon(free shipping thru prime) and had a couple of questions. i used a scuba weight calulcator to calculate my lead based on my body weight(195), type of wetsuit(7mm), tank, and water(salt). based on this information, it gave me an estimate of 22-29 pounds depending on the type of tank I used(steel or aluminum). here is the calculator I used:

CochraneScuba - Basic Weighting Guidelines

1)how accurate are these calculators?
2)I purchased a weight integrated back inflated bc(scubapro seahawk). this bc has 2 weight pockets in the front and 2 trim pockets in the back. based on this, what is the ideal weight configuration? for example, 4x5 lbs vs 2x 10 lbs for the front? what would be best in the trim pockets?

im probably going to be taking a buoyancy class next, but id like to get an idea of what i will need. thanks

1. Wait for the BC to come in.
2. Go to a dive shop with a pool.
3. Rent the pool and use their weights too.
4. Grab a used tank (in the 500 psi range).
5. Do a weight check.
6. Play around a bit with the different pockets +/- a belt to get a feel for how much weight in each location for trim.
7. Order the weights.

edit: Order a few extra pounds for salt water.

Back
Top Bottom