How much water in the loop? (Choptima, particularly)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stretchthepenn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
When diving a rebreather, it's inevitable that water gets into the loop; our breath condenses, droplets work their way in if we wiggle our mouths too far, dump valves introduce droplets...et cetera. It just kinda happens. The question, though, is this: How much water in the loop is normal/acceptable?

For example, when I drain my Choptima's water trap after two dives totaling ~180 minutes, there's usually what I consider to be a fair amount in there. I've not measured the quantity, but it's enough to make a splash when I pour it out and make me wonder, "Am I doing everything right?"

So...how much water typically accumulates in your rebreather? And how do you prefer to deal with it?

It always has some, I have never measured it. I drain the dump after every dive.

Inevitable, particularly on really long dives. The byproducts of the scrubber reaction are water and heat. You’ll also find it on the inhale side in cold water, as the moisture in the loop can condense. Less as issue w the Choptima given the length of the hoses. Some people are also prone to more lung butter and spit than others.

On my Kiss Spirit, after two dives i will find perhaps a quarter cup of water in the lungs. There is also a smaller amount of water in the exhale side of the loop that I drain after each dive.

It not a problem but can be annoying if you forget to drain the loop. If there is quite a bit it can start to gurgle when exhaling.

On my Kiss Spirit, after two dives i will find perhaps a quarter cup of water in the lungs. There is also a smaller amount of water in the exhale side of the loop that I drain after each dive.

It not a problem but can be annoying if you forget to drain the loop. If there is quite a bit it can start to gurgle when exhaling.
Your Spirit also literally dumps exhale spit and lung butter into your right hand scrubber, so there’s some absorbed by that as well.

I have a little bit in mine after diving as well. Never enough to where I am concern about it.

After 2 hr diving rEvo, the exhale lung is almost dry. The inhale lung as some water in it, perhaps ~2 table spoons. The shammy's wet too, but not too bad.

You need to differentiate between water that gets in the loop and condensation that happens due to the chemical reaction in the scrubber.

After three hours in Florida water on a ChoptimaI have a tablespoon or two in the water trap. That seems about normal to me.

Not a Choptima, but after 2 to 3 hours in 60F water, if I can poor anything out I assume it came past my lips and I need to do better.

Back
Top Bottom