How much to tip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

afdgf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How much should I tip the Divemaster (or the tip jar on the boat however it is done in Costa Rica) in Guanacaste Costa Rica? TIA

This varies a lot based on the customer, the customer's country, and the country of the dive operation. I can't speak to the Costa Rica factor.

I'll give a couple of examples of what I do. In Belize and Honduras, I give US$5/tank to both the DM and the boat captain. So, assuming a 2-tank dive, that would be $20/day of tips. I may need to revise that figure if dive prices change substantially. Also, I do use US$ because the dive prices are quoted in US$ and the currency is accepted for use there. In Puerto Rico, I aim for a 20% tip, which on my last trip also worked out to US$5/tank for both the DM and the boat captain since the diving was $100 for two tanks per day.

Again, you'll get lots of different answers on this.

A couple weeks ago I saw a student tip an instructor. This was a first for me. This summer I'm planning on a Lake Michigan charter $150 per seat 2 tanks and a trip to either the east coast NC/SC or southern Florida. I want to dive 2 days 2 tanks each...

Has anyone seen tipping an instructor? And how much to tip a USA charter?

When I worked there on average it was between 10 and 20 USD per person, they do 2 tanks dives per day. The tips were shared equally between everyone on the boat, so captain, crew and instructors or guides. Wages are not too high there so it was a big help with the living expenses.

Back
Top Bottom