How much should you tip a dive operator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goldenbear01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
As a newb to diving, I'm not sure how much I should tip, especially since tipping rules seem to vary from place to place. Since I plan to dive in Oahu in August, I want to know how much extra I should build into the budget for my diving trips--I'd really rather not stiff the dive operator and boat crew, but keep in mind that I'm operating on a student's budget.

Additionally, I have some friends will probably be getting their OW certifications in Oahu at that time; how much should they expect to tip their instructor and the dive crew?

Do divemasters/instructors/guides share the tip with the boat crew? Will the divemaster/instructor/guide share the tip with the boat crew is only renting space on the boat? Thanks in advance!

First off, and you probably already know this; it is customary to tip instructor/guide/captain/dm/crew, but not necessarily the dive operator. If the instructor/guide/captain is an independent dive operator, a tip may be appropriate, in a similar way that the owner of a bar might deserve a tip when performing the duties of bartender.

Now to the meat of your question; many boat dive trips off Oahu are shops renting seats from independent boat operators; so your instructor/guide is not part of the crew, in the traditional sense. There may be two briefings; one from the crew (captain) and one from your dive leader. When I was leading the Sea Tiger, YO-257 and Corsair dives, 80% of the time the captain was the owner of the boat, once again falling into the owner/bartender scenario. The crew person (if there is one) may deserve tipping, but with at least one leader for each 2-6 diver group, often the crew person does little more than tie and untie the boat at the dock.

The dive leaders do not have to share the tips they get from their charges, but some do on occasion. If you want to make sure the crew member gets a tip it is best to put it in their jar or hand. Letting your leader see this takes care of the sharing issue. Most respectable owner/captains will give all "boat" tips to the crew person.

In a guided dive situation; $5 per tank would be if the leader just performed satisfactorily, $10 per tank for being entertaining and educational on top of satisfactory job performance and more than $10 per tank if the leader has to save your @$$ due your noob-ery. If the crew saved your @$$, give them the extra!

Tipping an instructor happens more at the resorts than on boats and at dive shops, but if your training dives include a decent dive made pleasurable and educational by the instructor (not just skills), or the instructor goes above and beyond in classroom or pool for you, the above tipping rules could be applicable ($5/$10/more per tank/session). Gifts, food, refreshments, beverages, lunch; all might be appropriate for a tip in any above situation.

Have fun and enjoy!

Of course this depends on where you are diving. There are cultures that do not expect tipping, and others that expect tips regardless of whether they provide service or not.

A good tip is when diving in catalina, Dive with DrBill and you will learn the most of the local underwater and topside all in a charter.

Happy Diving.

Of course this depends on where you are diving. There are cultures that do not expect tipping, and others that expect tips regardless of whether they provide service or not.

As the question was posted in the Hawaii O'hana forum, concerning diving and instruction while visiting Oahu, I gave an Oahu specific answer. Since none of the regular Oahu members have flamed my post, it just might be about right.

As a newb to diving, I'm not sure how much I should tip, especially since tipping rules seem to vary from place to place. Since I plan to dive in Oahu in August, I want to know how much extra I should build into the budget for my diving trips

drbill, perhaps you mistook this for the http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/229291-cheap-bastard-divers.html thread?? :D

Lots and lots!!

A good tip is when diving in catalina, Dive with DrBill and you will learn the most of the local underwater and topside all in a charter.

Does this mean that DrBill leads dives off Catalina? I'm hoping to do some diving there later this year or next year. I would very much appreciate diving w/him--I've started reading his Dry Diving w/Dr. Bill articles online. :eek:)

...if the leader has to save your @$$ due your noob-ery. If the crew saved your @$$, give them the extra!

I'm hoping I won't do something stupid enough to warrant having the DM/crew save my @$$! But being a noob--who knows? :eyebrow:

Just remember tipping is the same as if you were eatting out. Only tip if you think are did a good job. If they just take you in the water and show you jack crap then they should not get a tip. If they take you down and show eveything they can from eels to frog fish to playing with a otco you should tip as much as you want. But do remember the tip jar on the boat is for the boat and boat crew not the divers. Remember the better you tip the better you next day diver and any dives you do after that with that company. As for you buddies going to the OW cert ask your self do you tip your collage teacher for teaching you??? They are going to school to learn not enjoy them selfs. Now if they go on a discover dive tipping i would think would fell under the same rules as normal diving.

Back
Top Bottom