how much should i spend for a gear bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mangoconchile

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
im going to be taking the PADI open water cert course on tuesday and am planning on heading down to the LDS tomorrow to pick up my snorkel, fins, etc...one thing i didnt consider was a gear bag. i have pretty much researched the cost of everything else except for this. i dont want something cheaply made but at the same time dont want something overly expensive. i dont plan on traveling with it(i.e taking it on planes), just local diving. also i wanted your opinions on the other stuff. the regulator im looking at is an aqua lung legend lx supreme. do i need the supreme? it is built for cold waters(ill be diving in socal). i was going back and forth on aqualung or atomic but recently aqualung is throwing in a matching octo for free. the dive computer i have been thinking of getting a hollis dg03(with updated firmware). bcd i havent been looking at any jacket style but ive been researching back inflate and the oceanic excursion 2 has caught my eye.

my LDS looks like they push Aqua Lung heavily and i dont want everything Aqua Lung otherwise ill look like a walking advertisement.

I dive off a boat nearly every weekend. My dive bag is mesh with a zipper and handles. I put everything in there except for my BC because it's a short walk down the dock. I can fit my BC in there but there's really no need. Look for a sturdy bag with good handles, a strong zipper, and is comfortable to carry. A U shaped zipper top makes it easier to load your bag. You don't need to invest a lot in a bag but they do take a beating and I've always believed you get what you pay for. Get the bag that works best for you and don't worry about what brand name is on it. All of my gear is Scubapro except my bag which I recently replaced and it's an Aqualung. I don't think twice about it.

+1 above, but if you are going to be shore diving a plastic utility tub may serve you better than a bag - it will keep your vehicle dry to /from dive sites.

KitBag.jpg

I use a kit bag that cost about $25, has no markings that tell others what is inside and is somewhat waterproof so at the end of the dive I can just fill the bag with water and let the gear soak. These are very strong, well put together bags that I have on occasion also used as a lift bag and an anchor by filling the bag with large rocks while kayak diving.

Over the years I've used My old Navy Sea Bag, the longest run before it disintegrated, and after that a Rubbermaid Roughneck box. Now I use a Rubbermaid Action Packer or, when I have to pack into the dive site, a mesh bag that looks like the old Sea Bag. None of these choices is particularly expensive, so if you don't like what you are using, try something else.

Bob
----------------------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

That Aqualung bag screams "expensive stuff inside, steal me!"

I use rubber maid type tubs locally now. For travel a cheap mesh bag rolled up with the rest of my gear for use on the boat. The actual transport bag is an Oceanic Roller Back pack that they no longer offer. My entire set of warm water gear - BPW, reg, mask, boots, computers, back up lights, and spool and SMB fit into it. I check no dive gear on the way to a destination. I might check a wet suit and boots on the way home so that TSA can enjoy the smell if they decide to open the bag but going? No way. The mesh bag actually lays in the bottom of the back pack and takes up about a 1/2 inch of space. Bag has straps to fasten fins to the sides. It's a compact package that fits into the overhead. I can even get a change of clothes in it (shorts, 2 t shirts, socks, boxers). My 3 mil will even fit if I really take my time to pack the whole kit. Expendable items like clothes, toiletries ( really just a brush and toothbrush since I'll use the hotels stuff at the destination), and anything I can buy there may go in a checked bag. Or in a "personal item" bag that goes under the seat. Since on a dive trip what do you really need? 3 or 4 t shirts, a couple pairs of shorts, underwear, and an extra bathing suit. More than that is overkill. I learned to wear my out for the evening for dinner one time stuff to the airport and try to keep it clean.

Travelling all over, I started out with a specific dive bag. They are huge, heavy and, indeed, yell: steel me. So the wife and I use a normal bag. I have an Eastpack, hers has no known label. I payed bout 70 fot the bag and it has been with me for 8 years and still is in one piece..

For international travel I have a Beuchat (dive brand) rolling bag- solid and protective and can fit 2 sets. For daily use I just have a simple mesh but I'm conscious of handling it gently as they can rip if you get rough and throw them around.

I would love to get my hands on some ex-army duffels.

View attachment 165444

I use a kit bag that cost about $25, has no markings that tell others what is inside and is somewhat waterproof so at the end of the dive I can just fill the bag with water and let the gear soak. These are very strong, well put together bags that I have on occasion also used as a lift bag and an anchor by filling the bag with large rocks while kayak diving.

Find an old kit bag. The newer ones (like everything else) are crap. I have two
of these. One is a new one that has my wings embroidered into the side and it is
a POS (thinner, lighter weight material). I have an older 1/2-kit, but the
stitching has started to come out on one of the handles, and I'm not convinced
it would hold water... Though I guess I'm going to have to give it a shot now!

Back
Top Bottom