How much of an improvement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Father

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Right now I'm using a Canon Powershot a570is. It's mainly a still photo camera. It's done the job so far. I think I've gotten some pretty decent shots using it so far.

octopus003.jpganenome_003.jpg

I'm wondering if videos like this and this would be considerably better if I were using a GoPro Hero 3+ Black.

Also wondering how much difference it would make having a light or not during a daytime dive.

Take into account all of the particulate in the water. I don't know that a better camera is going to be able to do much for that, and adding light might actually bring it out more.

I've seen a few other portable action cameras. Checked out this but I don't usually trust reviews on a websites like that. They never bash anything. Everything always gets sterling reviews.

The Sony Action Cam would be my second choice. Seems to get pretty good reviews as well. The price seems to be better as well.

Going by the comparison videos of the two, though, the GoPro seems to be much better underwater.

I have been lurking and posting my own questions in this forum, perhaps you've been lurking too! I read everything I can so as to learn amap from the users. One thing we can agree on is lights are often necessary to light up certain shots so lighting was mandatory for me in the green waters and low viz of Puget Sound however they're a necessity in Hawaii when I want a good lit subject to bring out detail. I have fought with backscatter ad nauseum and am fed up with it. It's all about positioning those lights just right so the scatter doesn't ruin the video. I will frame my video and later I will choose the images worthy of being a "photograph." I've watched a lot of forum member videos and subscribed to many because of the quality and lessons they teach. I would ask you to watch all the vids you can and perhaps then be equipped to make your decision, Good Luck!

Yes it will be better, with some of the same caveats offered by Deb.

- GoPro is HD...so resolution will be much better
- Filters and lights will help this immensely, daytime or not
- If water is murky or you are trying to shoot over longer distances (a la your manta video) the improvement will likely not be as dramatic

Here are some comparison examples (when you start the video, hover your mouse over the video window and click on "auto" in the bottom right corner to select the highest resolution - 1080 HD for the GoPro videos). Videos are a mix of still and video:

- Roatan using my Canon G11 for video:
Coco View Video - March 2013 - Zurich-Diver

- Roatan using GoPro Hero 3+ Black:
Coco View 2014 - March 2014 - Zurich-Diver

New England diving using Canon G11:
Old Garden Beach - May 2012 - Zurich-Diver

Same dive site using GoPro Hero 3+ Black:
Old Garden Beach - April 2014 - Zurich-Diver

Comparisons are not completely equal since with the GoPro I am using a light (Sealife Sea Dragon 1200) and Backscatter flip filters. With the Canon I did have a light on some of the dives, but was a hand held light not well aimed or meant for video.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Chris, I remember watching these vids....they are excellent teaching samples! So very neat that you took your daughter with you! I had a Canon G9 in the stock housing and I wasn't happy with the video quality, but I don't have side by sides like you do for comparison. Even in the areas that are decently lit, they're still fuzzy. You're pictures are stunning though! I kept my G9 for surface photos and sold the housing. Now back to my GoPro skills.... I'm heading 300 miles west tomorrow to dip into salt water. The tidal exchanges are small, rain is predicted so viz is a guess...as usual. We will be looking for our resident Giant Pacific Octopus so I will be primarily focused on GPO photos!!! I pray I've something to bring back that's of decent quality...which is entirely dependant on my skills.

Remember you have no HD with the A570.......It will be better--& having a lite will help, too...........

EDIT:......took out the part about the WB thingy.....thanks for bringing that to my attention flareside.....

Last edited:
The a570 has all the WB capabilities of any canon in recent history including underwater and custom set modes.

Ooooops, my bad, been so long since I fooled with mine, I forgot.......Now I remember, has no RAW features........You're correct, I need to correct that statement.....

Thanks everyone for the input.
I'll definitely have to watch some more comparison videos but I'm still leaning hard toward the GoPro. I also like the option of putting it on a stick and actually getting shots of myself. I'm always behind the camera and feel cheated.

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom