how much more weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I wear 18 lbs on a 2 piece 7mm wetsuit. I will be shifting to a 4 mm drysuit with weezle undergarments and wonder how much weight do I need to add? Apart from a pair of ankle weights, how much more lead would I need?

Thanks.

Nobody can tell you for sure. You'll have to do a buoyancy check.

I just switched to a drysuit and went through the same thing. You've got at least 2 variables in there. The new suit is going to change your buoyancy and the thickness of the underwear will change it too. I tried my shell suit in a pool with no underwear and had to make adjustments a second time when I got into open water with my thick undies. I don't use ankle weights at all. I just made sure my new ds finss were negatively buoyant before I bought them.

Here's what I found out: With 24 pounds I was slightly buoyant. My buddy says that is fine and I would sink if I get down below 10'. I added 6 lbs more and that made me slightly negative. I'll probably settle for 28 lbs.

Sprinter:
I'll probably settle for 28 lbs.

don't forget that you are going to be at your lightest at the end of the dive,
with a near-empty tank

my suggestion is to get a tank with about 500 psi and weight yourself so that you
are neutral to sligthly negative at the surface. that way, you will know that you
can control your ascent from 15 feet or so with a near-empty tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom