How much moisture is acceptable in a drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DPS2

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all!

Just broke in my new DUI TLS350 at Vortex Springs and Morrison Springs over the weekend. Now I understand what they mean when they say "once you go dry, you'll never want to dive wet again!" Drysuits are awesome! I do have one question, though... I noticed when I doffed the drysuit, there was a bit of moisture in the legs and ankles - both legs/ankles, actually. It seemed to be condensation along the seams - certainly, not a leak, just a little bit of moisture. Being new to drysuit diving, is this normal? Keep in mind that it was about 80 degrees outside, I was hot as crap by the time I got into the water which was a refreshing 68 degrees.

By the way, got the Turtle Fins with the spring straps - another must have for any type of diving. I have never had fins go on and off as easily as those.

Thanks for all of the advice on this forum - I for one have used quite a bit of it - and it has all paid off, both in great gear tips and savings ($$).

Thanks again!

It is not surprising that there was moisture in the suit after a dive... I find that even here in the PNW with cool air and cold water there will be condensate at times after dives involving exertion... no sweat ~ just sweat man.

Uncle Pug told you true, it’s just sweat. On the surface in regular clothing, when you get hot, your body cools itself by sweating. The sweat accumulates on the surface of your skin and then evaporates into the air. When you place your body in a dry suit, you have locked it into an air & water tight container. There is no place for the sweat to go, it can’t evaporate into the air, so it accumulates on the inside of your dry suit and on the outer layers of your undergarments.

…………Arduous……….

When I remove my drysuit ( a trilaminate from Northern Diver) I notice that the under garment is a little damp. I believe that this is from the under garment wicking sweat from the surface of my skin. So it is possible that the combination of 80 degree air temp and some type of under garment caused moisture to collect on the inside of your suit.

Hope this helps

Damp all over = sweat

Wet cuffs, collar, shoulder-- leak in wrist/neck seals or exhaust valve.

I have had issues with exhaust valves in both of my suits, but I suspect it is my own fault dumping air manually instead of letting the valve do its job.

I think Wannabe nailed it right......sweat does not travel south within an undergarment unless you are a raging SweatHog, lol.

Any signficant fluids and aparently you must have forgot you were in a drysuit :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom