How much lead would be equal to bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mbeaudoin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I apologize, I know this must have been discussed many times. I bought a ss backplate with a weighted sta with wing as a package deal. Previous owner used for dry suit, cold fresh water diving. I will be using for tropical salt water. I dove my zeagle ranger and 3mm with 10 lbs of lead on last vacation. Will my ss backplate and weighted sta be too negatively buoyant? The sta doesn’t have removable weight, it is melted in. And my wing is halcyon so it needs an sta. My thought was to just buy a cheap (non weighted) sta and bring it with on vacation just in case. Weighted sta is 6 lbs. bp is 5lbs. I know this question is very dependent on circumstances but there has to be a way to figure out negative buoyancy of bp/w if I know previous circumstances and previous lead needed.

If going from one BPW to another, just the weight difference.

If going from the Ranger to that 11lb BPW with weighted STA you are going to be about 1-2 lbs more negative than the Ranger.

I apologize, I know this must have been discussed many times. I bought a ss backplate with a weighted sta with wing as a package deal. Previous owner used for dry suit, cold fresh water diving. I will be using for tropical salt water. I dove my zeagle ranger and 3mm with 10 lbs of lead on last vacation. Will my ss backplate and weighted sta be too negatively buoyant? The sta doesn’t have removable weight, it is melted in. And my wing is halcyon so it needs an sta. My thought was to just buy a cheap (non weighted) sta and bring it with on vacation just in case. Weighted sta is 6 lbs. bp is 5lbs. I know this question is very dependent on circumstances but there has to be a way to figure out negative buoyancy of bp/w if I know previous circumstances and previous lead needed.
It sounds like you might be close (but negative) with the BP and weighted STA. I would suggest you purchase a couple of these Single Weight Pocket with Velcro Front — XS Scuba - Everything For The Perfect Dive put these on the top cam-band and go with the non-weighted STA. You'll have less weight to pack and you'll be able to fine-tune your buoyancy by adding lead to the pockets

It sounds like you might be close (but negative) with the BP and weighted STA. I would suggest you purchase a couple of these Single Weight Pocket with Velcro Front — XS Scuba - Everything For The Perfect Dive put these on the top cam-band and go with the non-weighted STA. You'll have less weight to pack and you'll be able to fine-tune your buoyancy by adding lead to the pockets
Thanks John. I do already have trim weight pockets and dumpable weight pockets that came with the bp/w package. So I should be good to secure the lead. Other option is melt some of the lead off of the weighted sta as I do have an acetylene torch... everything is halcyon and wouldn’t want to damage it in my attempt. I feel I would be capable of it though. Question is how much to melt off?

You're likely going to be a couple of pounds negative with the weighted STA. I'd unbolt it and save it for when you dive with a thicker wetsuit or drysuit rather than trying to melt the lead out of it.

A new STA is under $25 from Backplates & Single Tank Adapters Piranha Dive Shop |

FWIW, for a small amount of weight like you'll need with an unweighted STA, I'd use the trim pockets on the waist belt (all the way back next to the plate) instead of on the cam bands. This will let you extract and dump the weights if needed.

Thanks John. I do already have trim weight pockets and dumpable weight pockets that came with the bp/w package. So I should be good to secure the lead. Other option is melt some of the lead off of the weighted sta as I do have an acetylene torch... everything is halcyon and wouldn’t want to damage it in my attempt. I feel I would be capable of it though. Question is how much to melt off?

Take all of the lead off. Put the lead in the cam band pouches, keep the weight as close to your back as you can

Back
Top Bottom