How much LBs. force will 5/8”x 24” amber sling produce?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

STB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
riggedmuzzel.jpg
blue steel and tube.jpg
How much LBs. force will 5/8”x 24” amber sling produce?

Here’s the sling

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HCAMOR2/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1

there isn’t a color code hierarchy of strength usually associated w/ colored bands.

Same question (LBs. force) for upgraded JBL blue & the weak original slings.

The original slings where way to weak,
rigged1.jpg
blues where major improvement.

Are slings rated like bows are?

w/ 2 wraps of the thick nylon and 1 wrap of reel line the line release is kindof crowded the outter wrap wants to jump off. I mite have to reduce one of the nylon wraps.

Specs on weapon JBL 41” rail gun 2x 24” slings, w/ new fly reel, 80’ 900LB

Reel cord 13’ original shoot line.

I purchased ½” https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00507H8BW/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s03?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1 diameter spear pole rubber for the spear pole,floatline,trolling teaser however it maybe to thick for guns shockcord?

Was planning to use leftover kevalar reel line tied to large 500LB swivel making it removable as above mentioned.

asking for Tips on floatline & trolling teaser unsure of either.

I have 3/16 blue steel was planning to insert into 5’of rubber apparently electrical fish tape will be needed.

trolling teaser 25’ blue steel wire leader & 1.5’ rubber

edit wishbones are tied prior to expedition.

The reason nobody can answer this is because its gun (and band) specific.

the blues feel like 50LBs each where seriously more powerful than the original black rubber which was basically spearpole rubber felt like 25LBs each.

I do understand the 300-400% of stretch. this was'nt a exact answer but a ballpark of power.

Since I'm now making my own bands I forsee fine tuning.

lastly for right now each band rated say 50LB so w/ 2 of these is the total pressure 100LBs.

I've never heard there's any standardization of this beyond what any one manufacturer might volunteer to do. Color and even tube ID/OD are not of themselves guaranteed meaningful.

I remember the scuba shop had a color code of strength. they sold JBL so you're probablley correct being a brand name hierarchy.

I'll tie the wishbone prior to next expedition to preserve rubber.
none detachable reel remember for larger 36"+ floatline and starting off w/ surface pelagics.

I would like suggestions on silicon to smear on rubber to perverse elasticity. I only use this equipment 12 times a year in the Gulf if I'm luckie one more expedition (3 days of cruisingfrom FT.Morgan AL to Destin FL) gulf,ICW Mobil Bay, Chochtawahacheei).
Last year I cruised 3rd week in Nov. weather was beautiful just sayin.

lastly for right now each band rated say 50LB so w/ 2 of these is the total pressure 100LBs.
STB

Attachments

• rigged nuthead exposed.jpg
    rigged nuthead exposed.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 235
  • band lenghts.jpg
    band lenghts.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 182
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom