How much have you spent on gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDoo83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This should be a fun thread. Post how long you've been diving and approximately how much you've invested in gear.

Time Diving: A little over 2 years
Money Spent on Gear: A little over $5K

:)

Next!

After 15 years of diving, it is pretty hard to say how much I have spent on gear. Safe to say it has been over your $5K, also safe to say that it is more than I should have spent, and well less than what I could have spent!

we had to make a list for the insurance rider, and it was just over $10k in gear for 3 years for two people. actually sold some stuff off lately, so it's likely closer to $8~9k now.

the scuba van added another $5k to the tally.

this is why you NEVER add it all up.

12 years diving. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 25,000. And I don't even own a rebreather. I have also sold and rebought a lot of gear. That figure is if I had to replace everything with new. At dealer cost.

This should be a fun thread. Post how long you've been diving and approximately how much you've invested in gear.

Time Diving: A little over 2 years
Money Spent on Gear: A little over $5K

:)

Next!

Diving 32 years
Money spent on gear: unknown.

If I think about the big ticket items then I have worn out 4 drysuits and 1 wetsuit. I own 7 regulators, all of which I have dived with at some point or another, often 3 or 4 at a time. I have owned 3 computers and a bottom timer and a number of dive watches that I need for training. I've owned 3 jackets and a bp/w, a crap load of masks and different flippers, lamps etc. I probably forgot a lot of stuff too.

These days I don't spend as much on gear as I used to because I only do maintenance and replace pieces that need it. This year I just bought a new wing and did an overhaul of my drysuit that should do for another 2-3 years before it needs to be replaced. My big wish is to buy a Perdix but I keep getting the hiccups when I look at the price of the thing considering that it would be replacing a computer that isn't broken. I guess i have trouble spending money on stuff that I don't actually need.

R..

In the last 6 years, I'm around the $25-30k level on gear. Because my car at the time (which was only 18 months old) wasn't suitable I traded it in for a new Ford raptor. So that puts us scarily over the $100k mark, Dive trips and vacations probably another $30-40k

My wife has spent a similar amount - not the truck obviously, so as a family over the last 4 years, $200k would be about right. :eek:

I wish I hadn't added it up now :cry::banghead:

Yea, sorry. My wife occasionally reads this forum. I'm not admitting to spending anything on dive gear. I found it all on the side of the road, I swear!

Yea, sorry. My wife occasionally reads this forum. I'm not admitting to spending anything on dive gear. I found it all on the side of the road, I swear!

You'll be sorry if she has to sell it on your behalf one day and sells if for what you told her it was worth rather than what it's really worth :D

Lots of big money spenders here, as I suspected would occur. Let me try to think back. 11 years diving. Most of my stuff was bought used, some of it replaced with other used stuff. A wild guess would be somewhere between 2 and 3K Canadian, including a wetsuit recently gifted to me by my step daughters. Probably spent about the same on courses over that time (maybe closer to 2K), though none other than CPR since 2009.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom