How much have you spent on gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh dear. I'm new at this and already I want a new better fitting wetsuit (the legs are too long!!) even though it keeps me warm enough. I want a new computer because there are better ones out there and mine is hard to see...well it could be hard to see if I dove in bad conditions. I want I want I want. I can't let my husband know how much i (we) spend on this thing. It's OK for him but I LOVE it. He loves me so he pretends he doesn't know how to add. You're not counting classes and trips are you...boat dives, parking, days off work to play??? Ahhhh I'm back to Oh dear.

700 Primary Light
1165 2x Petrels
250 LM backups
1000 2x drysuits
2300 in tanks
1300 7x regs
400 2x wings/BP
2K in bolt snaps and other misc

So over 9k just on gear in 2 years, sounds about right......

Nearly all the items listed are used prices and that is not even counting training and travel costs......o_O

People love buying dive gear!!!

I have mostly only bought what I needed and some spares / back ups. I think a lot of my gear was 2nd hand when I was starting out and replaced with new gear as I could. My original gear wasn't that expensive. Regs, BCD, Drysuit, Fins, boots and gloves all came to less than £500 so it shouldn't put anyone off!

Since then my new dry suit cost more than that put together.

As someone who switched from OC trimix to a rebreather (thankfully used), I'd rather not think of how much I've spent

Have four divers and I get to pay for all the gear, in 6 years 16-18k still only recreational diving.

Wow, I started out thinking "not a lot", because I did not buy the whole outfit. But now that I think of how much I have spent renting gear on all the trips, and classes etc, that is a lot. Worth every penny.

1 year. Still planning to rent most items outside of:

Mask, snorkel, fins, booties = ~$400
Dive light = $260
Camera housing = $200
Semi-dry = $320
Gloves = $45
Knife = $30
Odds and ends = $40

So ~ $1300

Not too bad looking around this place!

I don't think I had spent excessively on gear eg still diving the same computer and reg since 1998. But I hate to think the total expenditure that I had spent on foreign diving trips since 1996.

Does owning a boat or two count as dive gear?
If it does, then no way tell the wife. The boats alone make all the dry suits,regulators,computers, cameras, etc seem like a bargain.

Back
Top Bottom