How much exposure protection for Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freeclimbmtb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am going on a 10 day vacation to Curacao at the end of November and am trying to figure out what I'll need for protection. Ive heard some people say boardshorts and rashguard, then others say a 2/3. Ive never dove warm water, just San Diego year round and New England in the summer (started in a 7mm, now in a drysuit). I dont carry much insulation on my body (5'6", 135#) so I do tend to get cold a little quicker than most divers I know, but I just want to make sure I am comfortable on vacation (not too cold OR too hot.) Suggestions?

The last time I was down that way I was fine with a 3mm full suit. I did a couple of dives in shorts and T-shirt one day when the wet suit got left behind, but I was getting cool by the end of those dives.

Particularly since you're lacking blubber, I'd recommend a full 3mm.

I've had "warm bathwater" dives and find that its far preferable to blow an air bubble through one's suit to cool off than to be cold and wish that you had more ... particularly since the latter often hits 40 minutes into a dive when you've still got well over 1000psi left <g>

-hh

I was told that boardshorts would work for Cozumel, but I ended up in a 3mm and a hood on my second day. The first time I go somewhere now I take a whole bunch of options.

Yeah well, my current exposure gear options are the drysuit, the 7mm, and a short sleeve rash guard. So im just trying to figure out what to spend some money on. Most likely a 3mm...LP has a few for around $100.

High 70s I can do a 7mm, but I have to flush water through a 7mm in the 80s. You're probably looking at a 3mm. Nice thing about California is there are all sorts of surfers selling thrashed 4/3s for $20.

It really depends on what type of diving you want to do. Obviously shallow dives at noon are very different than a 60 footer or a night dive.

I've done 20 dives in St. Lucia / St. Thomas (in Winter, but still, it was 85 during the days). I used a 3mm full for most of them (shallow and deep). On the really hot days I thought I could get away with boardshorts and a 5mm torso/hoodie; but I was cold at the end of the dives.

Cheers.

For diving in the Caribbean, I almost always use a skin. If the temp is below 78 degrees, I will use a 3mm wet suit. It really depends on the individual. I tend to be happy without significant thermal protection. If I were doing multiple long dives, I might go for a wet suit. For most people, a 3mm wet suit is probably the way to go unless you are doing about 4 dives per day in which case you might think of a 5mm.

Thanks all. I think Ill probably pick up an inexpensive 3mm and if I get too hot, ill trade down to boardshorts/rashie until Im cold, then throw the suit back on.

Back
Top Bottom