Question How much dive experience to do Live aboard in Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love Cape Kri! I have photographed the sweetlips many times but I think this was the most I ever saw together. It was hard to get them in frame even with a fisheye. Usually they are split between a couple different bommies.
200106_RajaAmpat_0454.jpg

190707_CBAY_0624.jpg

I love Cape Kri! I have photographed the sweetlips many times but I think this was the most I ever saw together. It was hard to get them in frame even with a fisheye. Usually they are split between a couple different bommies.
View attachment 770540
View attachment 770539

WOW! You saw the schoolings of (Ribbon & Diagonal Banded?) Sweetlips AND Humpback Snappers.

Schooling Humpback Snappers is pretty common seen in Indo Pacific region. However, schooling Sweetlips at this magnitude is not. I think this place is the only place in the world to see such gathering of sweetlips. Have anyone seen it elsewhere?

We have just returned from Blue Manta a sensational approach to divers. 4 dives a day, we both had a similar experience as you. Maybe we were lucky 2 dives were difficult there was electricity our guide showed us how to deal with it and it was ok.
We had a private guide, the rest is 1+4 no one complained and there were people with similar experience to ours.
Egoi tried to set the dives so that there was no problem while underwater. The average diving time is 50-55 minutes.

The world belongs to the brave and the prudent
I'm headed to Raja Ampat and will be staying on the Jaya liveaboard from May 10th - 17th. I'm ecstatic to go but had similar concerns as @SunSeek . I have 24 total dives in 3 months, and I am attempting to get 20 more before I leave. I dive in a Drysuit, Steel 100, with a lot of weight here in Washington state. It'll be interesting to dive in warm weather with substantially less gear. :)

No backing out now.

I love this forum and thank you all for contributing in a positive manner.

I am glad that you will be able to dive in Raja Ampat, the dives are beautiful, stress free.
Once you dive in a wetsuit in warm water with good visibility and a colorful world, you won't want to go back to your dry suit

I am glad that you will be able to dive in Raja Ampat, the dives are beautiful, stress free.
Once you dive in a wetsuit in warm water with good visibility and a colorful world, you won't want to go back to your dry suit
This is my fear; scuba diving has decent barrier to entry even before the implied cost of relocation. hahaha I'm going to need to have a serious discussion with my wife to explain why WA state will no longer be our home. :) Warm water diving sounds incredible and I am so excited.

Happy Friday!

I'm one of those strange birds that still loves diving year round in the midwest (USA) using a drysuit, even after the bliss of warm water good viz diving.

You'll be fine. I did NC wrecks with about 55 dives under my belt, this was more challenging (long boat rides so everyone was shaky, poor vis, some currents, no guides, every man for himself).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom