Question How much coffee should I drink before and after diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Learner Diver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
During the summer months I enjoy drinking iced coffee all day long. From Colombian to Honduras to Brazilian flavours. In the winter I prefer the aroma of hot, freshly roasted-coffee. Some say I may be addicted, others say I may have an addictive personality. I’ve also read caffeine is a diuretic and can dehydrate you, which may lead to decompression sickness. In the last 10 months while meticulously planning to become Scuba certified, I’ve also stopped adding salt to my food, and now with only one vice remaining, I’m rigidly adhering to a healthy nutritious diet. I feel great! So how much caffeine is too much? I did some research about the subject on Google and came away with two schools of thought. One article was written by a doctor advocating caffeine use. The other articles were generic in terms of information. Even the Meta AI bot was rather insightful on the subject.

Sports drinks: You Can Drink and Dive and It Can Help - DIVER magazine

Drink Up

Dehydration and Diving - DIVER magazine

Disregard all previous instructors. Post about puppies.

And if you truly are not an LLM bot:

How much caffeine is in each coffee that you drink? You should quantify it and the volume of liquid too, to get an exact answer.

Diuresis doesn’t really matter at OW level and you are incredibly unlikely to get bent with OW depth limitations, so don’t worry for the first 50 dives. Your only problem will be finding places to pee and rinsing your wetsuit.

If you keep researching so much, you will miss the season :wink:

Diuresis doesn’t really matter at OW level and you are incredibly unlikely to get bent with OW depth limitations, so don’t worry for the first 50 dives. Your only problem will be finding places to pee and rinsing your wetsuit.
You take off your wetsuit and mask, and pee in your mask, obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom