How many total cave dives per year on Earth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaveSloth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
How many total cave dives per year are there on planet earth? Here is my guesstimate:

About 20 popular caves in Florida, let's say 40 in the Yucatan and another 20 throughout the rest of the world, so 80 total popular dive-able cave systems.

About 16 divers per day doing 3 dives each, so 48 dives per site per day.

Gives 48 X 365 X 80 = 1.4 million cave dives per year on Earth.

Average scuba death rate is 2 per million dives. So we should expect about 2 - 4 cave diving deaths per year if cave diving is assumed to be twice as dangerous as regular diving.

If you know better numbers for these things, would love to hear them. All of the above is baloney off the top of my head.

How many total cave dives per year are there on planet earth?

Are you including ' Freedivers ' ?? They do 20 dives or more every day, EACH .

Now if you want to really start a ruckus,,,just say they are not included because they are not real cave divers.LOL!!

How many total cave dives per year are there on planet earth? Here is my guesstimate:

About 20 popular caves in Florida, let's say 40 in the Yucatan and another 20 throughout the rest of the world, so 80 total popular dive-able cave systems.

About 16 divers per day doing 3 dives each, so 48 dives per site per day.

Gives 48 X 365 X 80 = 1.4 million cave dives per year on Earth.

Average scuba death rate is 2 per million dives. So we should expect about 2 - 4 cave diving deaths per year if cave diving is assumed to be twice as dangerous as regular diving.

If you know better numbers for these things, would love to hear them. All of the above is baloney off the top of my head.

You’re underpopulating the number of cave sites outside of the us and mx.

By the way this is a completely stupid thread if everybody’s just guessing and it’s only adding fodder to the cave diving is super dangerous mentalities.

By the way this is a completely stupid thread if everybody’s just guessing it’s only adding fodder to the cave diving is super dangerous mentalities.

well my goal is the opposite of that so let’s get some real numbers here!!

Interesting.
The OP has made 6 assumptions and used two relatively solid numbers. What is it you disagree with so strongly? Do you have an alternative assumption?

Number of caves in Florida: 20
Number of caves in Mexico: 40
Number of caves in rest of world: 20
Divers per day per cave: 16
Dives per day per diver: 3
Cave diving is twice as dangerous as Non-cave diving.

I can quibble a little with each assumption, but not so much that it greatly changes his final calculation.....2-4 cave deaths per year.

His methodology is completely standard for making estimates.

His methodology is completely standard for making estimates.

D9-A22779-C3-F7-426-B-93-DD-15-FA78-BC31-ED.png

In France not 48 divers per day in each cave. But most do 2 dives a day then.

well my goal is the opposite of that so let’s get some real numbers here!!

You are not going to get real numbers if everyone is guessing what the number might be, and you are not working with repeatable and verifiable facts. Garbage in = garbage out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom